The S.O.B. Salad
Tasty South of the Border Salad
Unique South of the Border Salad
I picked up this delicious and unusual salad at a little cafe at the antique mall in downtown Cleburne, Texas. There was a Pappa and Mamma version. The Papa version used hamburger instead of beans. The SOB salad is similar to the Adventist potluck dish "Haystacks", but adds a couple of distinctive ingredients to give this salad some presence and a Southwestern flavor.
A baked potato and Ranch Style beans!
This is an easy and satisfying dish to feed a big crowd or a potluck gathering. It's quick, relatively cheap and fun. Everybody can make their own and select only the ingredients they like. It's a real crowd pleaser for youth groups if you're tired of pizza.
- 1 Baked Potato, Large
- To taste Butter/margarine
- To taste Salt
- 2 cups Chopped lettuce, Head or leave - whichever you like.
- 1 cup Diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Chopped veggies, Whatever you want for a salad - your choice of green peppers, onions, chives, cucumber, etc..
- 1/2 cup Avocado or guacamole
- 2 tblsp. Picante Sauce
- 1 cup Grated medium cheddar
- 1 dollop Sour cream
- To taste Ranch or Catalina Salad Dressing
- 6-8 Whole black olives
- 1 can Ranch Style Beans
- Optional to taste Jalepenos
- Bake your potato. When it's almost done, heat the beans in a pot so they are warm by the time the potato is baked. You'll want a big tater and baked till fluffy inside. Break open the potato and spread it out over the bottom of the plate. I like to leave the skin underneath, but that's me. Peel it if you want.
- Spread a little butter and salt over the potato bed
- Cover the potato with tortilla chips. and a layer of warm Ranch Style Beans
- Cover the chips with a bed of lettuce and sprinkle liberally with tomatoes and all the other salad ingredients you like. Anything goes.
- Cover the top with grated cheddar cheese.
- Put dollops of avocado, Picante sauce (Pace mild is the best for this dish), salad dressing and whole olives and top with a little peak of sour cream.
- Serve immediately to preserve the separation of flowers and temperatures from the hot bed of chips, beans and potato to the cool crisp salad ingredients and the cold sour cream on top.
- Better yet, set the ingredients on the buffet and let everyone custom design their own SOB salad.
More by this Author
You can substitute oatmeal for meat in your meals, lower your grocery costs and fight cholesterol at the same time with a delicious main dish made from humble oatmeal. Who'd have guessed?
Looking to cut the red meat out of your diet. Going vege? Here's an old Chinese substitute for meat you can make at home economically.
A pontoon boat is a different animal from bass boats and ski boats. Here's what you should know about picking out just the right prop for your pontoon boat.