How to Make Pound Cake - Recipe for Buttery and Delicious Pound Cake
Pound cake is traditionally known to consist of a pound of butter, a pound of flour, a pound of sugar and a pound of eggs. When I decided to try baking a variation of this cake from scratch for the first time, I looked to several recipes on the internet before deciding on my version. I received a bit of guidance from the
- "Mama's Pound Cake" recipe on foodnetwork.com
- "Glorious Sponge Cake" recipe at allrecipes.com.
The bullet points below is a list of what you will need to make a moist, buttery and delicious pound cake.:
- 2& 1/2 sticks of butter (4 sticks is a pound)
- 2& 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 eggs (a dozen is a pound)
The ingredients above can yield 1 round cake in a 9 inch pan plus 6 muffins/cupcakes.
- Line muffin pan with foil muffin cups and grease these with a bit of canola oil. Grease and flour a 9 inch round no stick pan as well (even though the pan is no stick, it helps to take this added step).
- Add the following ingredients to a blender: the 3/4 cup canola oil (Add this first. As a general rule, adding liquid first helps for a smooth blending process.), the 2 & 1/2 sticks of butter (unsalted) and the 2 & 1/2 cups of sugar. Blend until smooth. (The consistency and taste will be enticing, like a frosting. I happened to find that making another batch of just this would be a delicious frosting/topping for the cake. That is something that you might think about doing although this cake will already be rich and not really need frosting.)
- You can preheat your oven to 350 degrees now.
Pound cake batter
4. Pour the 3 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 6 eggs into a bowl. Mix by hand very well until all of the eggs are blended in. This can take upwards of 5 minutes. When the mixture is stiff but blended, then scrape all of the mixture that is in the blender out into the bowl with the flour mixture. Stir frequently to mix the 2 mixtures together completely.
5. Pour batter into the cake pan 3/4 high so that it does not overflow the pan as it rises a bit while cooking.
6. Use a ladle or big spoon to pour the remaining batter into the 6 muffin cups.
7. Place the round cake pan and muffin pan side by side on the top shelf of a large oven. The muffin pan can be removed after 30 minutes. The cake pan can be removed after 45 minutes. When you open the oven to remove the muffin pan, the round pound cake would have already baked well enough so that it does not sink. You can then close the oven and allow it to continue baking.
8. Cool the cake and enjoy!
Pound cake fresh from the oven
Please rate this pound cake recipe:
More by this Author
This article contains a modified recipe for the traditional Caribbean style sponge cake. It discusses how to make Caribbean sponge cake very simply. Enjoy this delicious dessert.
There's a multitude of cakes available in supermarkets and grocery stores (both in the frozen section and in the fresh bakery section) but what is the best carrot cake available? Here is my answer..
Delicious meatballs are possible without breadcrumbs! Whether you don't eat breadcrumbs or none are readily available, try this recipe plus a savory tomato sauce garnished with parsley and spices.