Benefits of Bananas
Go Bonkers with Bananas: Give Your Diet a Health Punch!
Bananas can give your diet a health punch because they are abundant with nutritional advantages.
I've always liked eating bananas, but didn't find out all of the health benefits they offer until a friend told me that her PMS symptoms dramatically decreased after she started eating two bananas a day. This led me to research all the different health benefits bananas have. You have heard that an apple a day will keep the doctor away, but bananas will help too!
The Banana Benefit Breakdown
- Energy Boost: A friend who bicycles competetively told me her entire team goes bananas about eating bananas. In fact, research has shown that eating two bananas will provide your body with enough energy for a high-intensity, 90-minute workout.
- B Vitamins: This can affect your mood, even helping out with PMS; help calm your nervous system; controls blood sugar levels.
- Potassium: May help control blood pressure; potassium gives you a brain boost, helping your ability to concentrate; helps to balance your stress levels.
- Iron: Helps with anemia,
- Fiber: Helps with regulating your bowels--no more constipation.
More Banana Tips:
Calm your tummy with a banana: great for hangovers and morning sickness.
Bananas are a natural antacid, so definitely use them for relieving heartburn.
Reduce the uncomfortableness of mosquito bites by rubbing them with the inside of a banana skin. (On the other hand, eating lots of bananas can also attract more mosquitoes to you because of the high levels of potassium.)
The U.S. FDA has endorsed claims that bananas help reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.
Add Bananas to Your Diet:
- Mash or slice bananas and add to oatmeal, cream of wheat, pancake batters, or muffin batters.
- Add bananas to your smoothies, or use frozen bananas for a banana shake.
- Slice a banana lengthwise, spread peanut butter on one half, put the banana back together, and eat.
- Add sliced bananas to cereals and yogurt.
- Use less sugar in baking recipes, but add mashed bananas instead (try this with brownies, yum).
- Grab banana, peel, eat.
Find Interesting Banana Recipes
More by this Author
Bananas are one of my favorite foods because they have so many health benefits. Not only do they give you an energy kick, but they also help settle upset stomachs. In fact, if you want to learn more about the wonderful...
Ginger is one of the foods that can give you a health punch because it is so full of healthy benefits for your body (and mind). Fresh ginger is best, so it is a good idea to keep some around (see below for storage...
A beginner's guide to knitting a scarf. This step-by-step guide teaches you how to knit a homemade scarf with directions for knit and purl stitches, two easy scarf patterns, knitting terminology glossary, and valuable...