Three Pumpkin Dishes - Asian Style
Although Halloween is not popular in my country, Indonesia, but many malls, hotels, and restaurants will decorate their business places with Halloween theme and prepare many dishes that related to Halloween.
Pumpkin Mud Cake
Prepare : Mud cake molder or little pancake non sticky pan. Or you can use a Japanese cake molder too, like Dorayaki cake molder.
- 200 gram pumpkin, peeled and steamed
- 100 gram all purpose flour
- 75 gram butter or margarine
- 200 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Prepare the food processor and put your teamed pumpkin inside. Blend it until smooth.
2. Bring to boil water and margarine. Add the flour and pumpkin puree. Stir well. Let it cold.
3. Add the eggs and milk into the pumpkin. Mix them all.
4. Prepare the cake molder, apply some butter and heat it. Pour two tbs pumpkin batter in the cake molder and cook until done. You can garnish the cake with some raisins, coconut shredded, or pandan leaves
Chinese people have a large of pumpkin dishes variation. From the deep frying pumpkin to sweet dessert. I love Chinese pumpkin pancake, stir fry pumpkin with pork and soya beans paste, pumpkin rice noodles, deep fry pumpkin rice balls, and sweet pumpkin dessert with coconut milk.
This time I'd like to share the simplest one. Chinese pumpkin pancake.
- 200 gr pumpkin, scoop and remove the seeds.
- 50 gr all purpose flour
- 25 gr glutinous sweet rice flour
- Green onions, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 50 ml water
- If you like, you can add some ginger.
- Vegetable oil
1. Put the pumpkin into a blender, blend it until smooth.
2. In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin, flour, glutinous rice flour, and green onions, Add eggs, water, salt and sugar. Stir well.
3. Heat a pan on medium high. Sprinkle some vegetable oil. Pour some pumpkin batter and cook the pancake until done.
4. Enjoy the pumpkin pancake with warm tea.
I love Korean food. They are so healthy and rich in fresh ingredients. One of their favorite pumpkin dish is Hobak-juk.
Hobak is pumpkin and Juk is porridge. So, basically it's a Korean style pumpkin porridge. The Korean used to mix pumpkin porridge with rice balls from glutinous rice flour, black beans, or sweet red beans. They eat it not just for breakfast but also for daily snack in a cool weather.
- 1 small pumpkin or about 1 kg
- 3 tbs glutinous rice flour.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs brown sugar or according to your taste
- 1 canned black beans or red beans, drained and washed.
1. Cut the pumpkin and remove the seeds. You can steam or boil them until tender. Let them cool.
2. Dissolves the brown sugar with water in a pan on medium high. Add black or red beans into the pan. Cook them about 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Scoop the pumpkin into the mixer. Add some water and blend it until tender. Place it in a pot and cook it on medium high.
4. Dissolves the glutinous rice flour with 100 ml or 1/2 cup water. Pour it into the pot and quickly stir it. Add some salt and sugar if you like. Bring to boil.
5. Presentation : Add some sweet black or red beans in a bowl, add pumpkin porridge. Serve warm.
Below is a video from Aeri's kitchen, but she made some rice balls to eat with the porridge. I did not add the rice balls, because I just love plain pumpkin porridge.
Danhobak-juk from Aeri's kitchen
Pumpkin is abundance in my country and we can harvest them every three to four months. Pumpkin is also rich in carbohydrates, vitamin and fiber. Pumpkin is great for eyes, protect the body from heart attack, diabetes, fever and diarrhea.
I hope this hub will give you another experience with pumpkin dishes and have a great day!
- Halloween Party in Asia
Halloween is widely celebrate in United States and European Country on October 31. Actually Halloween has roots in the Celtic festival of Samhain and the Christian holy day of All Saints’ Day and it is a secular celebration but some of Chri
More by this Author
MBC Korea has one new Saeguk (Historical) drama series. The title is "Dong Yi". This series replace "Pasta" and "The Great Queen Seon Deok". Directed by Mr. Lee Byung Hoon who had been...
What I love most of the red-eared sliders (RES) are their beautiful color and different stripes of each RES. Their scientific's name is Chrysemys scripta elegans (or formerly Trachemys scripta elegans). Its origin is...
"If I walk, I hope my footsteps won't be erased just like that... I want many other footsteps will follow mine !" Anne Avantie What is Kebaya ? Kebaya is a traditional blouse worn by Indonesian and Malaysian...