Tips for Men (And Some Women) Who Dislike Grocery Shopping
I’m sure it applies to some, not most but men, (some women too, probably a small minority) dislike any type of shopping I’m told. If you dislike grocery shopping especially or any type of shopping then this hub is for you.
My dad and my brother in-law are exceptions to that rule I’m afraid. My dad loves to grocery shop or any type of shopping for that matter. You read that right, he loves to shop. Maybe in a past life he was a woman. I’m guessing ok!
He shops for groceries a couple of times a month with my mom. If she lets him, he will go down every single aisle. He actually gets upset when she chooses not to. He’ll also pick up random items as well as some that’s on her list. Trouble is, he doesn’t look at size, price or food labels. He just throws it in the cart.
Often, because my mom shops with a list as most of us women do, she’s not paying attention to what he’s putting in the cart. It’s at the checkout that she notices finally what he’s done. Sometimes it’s too late and she has an inflated grocery bill. How do I know? Well, I’ve shopped with him many a times. I have to tell him right from the start that he’s only pushing the cart and nothing else.
If you recognize yourself in this picture but only because you want out of the store or to escape as fast as possible then please read on.
Here are some tips to get you shopping, save you time and get you out of the store in record time.
- Shop with a list. Yep, you know the proverbial shopping list ewww. Decide while you are at home what you really need and write it down. Plan ahead.
- Know the store well. I’m not saying to get the store layout (although it couldn’t hurt)or anything but you’ve probably shopped there many times before. You should know where to find milk, eggs, bread and the other perishables or you’ll end up at the corner store paying twice the amount on a weekly basis.
- Know the best days and times to shop at you local store. Mondays are lousy to shop on. The store is usually busy after the weekend or the food is not fresh because of the weekend. That’s usually when you can’t find what you’re looking for because they’re restocking the shelves. Tuesday and Wednesday the food is better and fresher, the aisles are clear all day and night. As you get closer to the weekend, Thursday and Friday here comes the busy days again. Thursday’s not as bad as Friday though. Friday evenings waiting to check out is such a hassle. Saturday, just forget it unless you like a crowd around you. Maybe if you have to get in, try for about half an hour before closing. Be warned though it sucks.
- Try the self check out. No one says you can’t do it yourself. If you have ten items or less DIY.
Get someone to shop with you or for you if all else fails. This option will work a few times but then you’ll be on your own again unless of course you are part of a couple
- You could learn to like grocery shopping since it’s a potential pick up spot if you’re single. You’ve got to eat and she does too. You could chat about a food item and ask her opinion. Women are food experts remember that. We can talk food labels, content, price, best bets to lose weight and so on.
See where I’m going here? You can get her full attention if she’s not in a hurry. Flirt with her. Ask her what’s good and easy to make for a single guy. Tell her you’re just learning to whip up easy dishes for yourself. You’ll never look at grocery shopping as boring, dull and a time waster again
- Once in awhile even though you can’t stand shopping try samples. Maybe they’re offering a new cereal or frozen dinner that would be right for you.
- At the checkout put like items on the belt first for example frozen food, veggies, fruits etc. If you’re doing it yourself then do the same. It’ll make it easier to put away when you are unpacking at home. You won’t have to look through each bag to decide what goes where. It was already done.
I hope these tips will work for you. I’m a woman and I do like to shop although not so much in the grocery store especially the big box grocery stores are tiring. They set it up so that you must walk through the whole store to get what you want. The veggies and fruits are on one side of the store and the milk and eggs the other. By the time I’m done I need to sit down somewhere. Oh well, change your way of looking at shopping and it won’t seem so bad.
More by this Author
Sexy, male and martial arts to boot, that's what this hub is about. Read on and find out if your favourite is included.
Jamaican banana fritters are one of my favourite sweets. It's so simple and easy to make. Use the recipe when you have bananas at home that are tired looking and brown.
Kissing! We all enjoy doing it. It's like second nature but do you know where a woman likes to be kissed?