Toaster Oven Cooking - Granola
Making a small batch of your own granola in your toaster oven is so easy! And the best part is that you can customize the recipe to suit your taste and nutritional preferences. A lot of granolas found in grocery stores contain bad fats and oils, plus preservatives. Making homemade granola allows you to have fresh, preservative-free, chemical-free snack food on hand at all times.
See below for suggested variations to this simple recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup nuts & seeds
- Preheat toaster oven to 250 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients well. Put into baking pan.
- Bake for approximately 1.5 hours, stirring every 15 minutes, or until granola is crispy and brown.
- Remove from toaster oven and allow to cool. Store in airtight container. Can be frozen for later use.
|Serving size: 1/4 cup|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Carbohydrates 41 g||14%|
|Sugar 19 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Nutrition information is for the granola recipe without adding nuts or seeds. Information is approximate and taken from CalorieCount.about.com.
Suggestions & Variations
1. Use a mixture of nuts and seeds that appeals to your tastes. Some examples are sunflowers seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, sesame seeds, peanuts, pecans and pinenuts.
2. You can also add dried fruits, such as raisins, cranberries and and small apricot pieces. You do not need to bake these dried fruits with the granola; just add them to the mix after it's cooled.
3. Try experimenting with different sugars to get a new taste. You can replace the maple syrup with honey, and the brown sugar with cane sugar.
4. To change the flavour and fat content of your homemade granola, try using a different oil such as coconut oil, walnut oil, safflower oil, or sunflower oil.
5. For a sweeter recipe, add a dash of vanilla extract and/or some chocolate chips.
6. This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled for a larger batch, but you will probably need to put it in your large oven to bake rather than your toaster oven.
More by this Author
Written by an experienced online transcription who works from home full-time. Find your new career at one of the featured companies.
Jousting is a competitive sport between armored riders on horses, who use a large lance to charge at each other at high speed. Not much is actually known about the rules of Medieval jousting tournaments. General ideas...
No comments yet.