Toffee and Rocky Road Bars Recipe
For the Sweet Tooth
Christmas baking puts me into the holiday spirit. I will usually start making cookies, fudge, shortbread, bars, mincemeat tarts and three or four tourtières starting at the beginning of December. This way I know that I'll have enough to enjoy with family and friends once the festivities begin.
The first recipe here is for Toffee Bars. The bottom of the bar is a moist cake with a toffee topping.
Of course both of these bar recipes are welcomed at any time of year.
Ingredients for Toffee Bars
Baking Tools Make Life Easier
- 2 cups of brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of milk, 1%, 2%, or homogenized can be used
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened flaked coconut, (optional)
Step by step photo tutorialClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 13" X 9" baking pan.
- In a medium to large mixing bowl combine brown sugar and flour.
- With a pastry cutter or 2 knives cut the butter into the mixture until it looks like coarse crumbs. Remove 1 cup of the mixture and set aside as you will need this further on down the recipe.
- Into the mixing bowl add baking powder and salt. Gently beat in with a fork the vanilla, milk and egg.
- Beat until the batter is smooth. Pour the batter into the greased baking pan.
- In a small bowl combine the chocolate chips, walnuts and coconut. Set aside.
- This is where you will add the reserved 1 cup of crumb mixture. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top of the batter that is in the pan.
- On top of this mixture sprinkle the chocolate chip, walnuts and coconut mixture.
- If needed, even out the mixture using a spatula.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting into the middle of the pan.
- Remove from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- The bars can be stored in an airtight container for up to six days.
Sound good? Please rate accordingly.
Rocky Road Bars
If you've never had Rocky Road Bars before hold onto your seat as these bars are super sweet. I can only ever eat about 1/2 of a bar but someone with a sweet tooth can probably handle a few. My kids love these so I try to make them during the holidays.
Prep time: 15 min Cook time: 40 min Ready in: 55 min Yields: 36 bars
Ingredients for Rocky Road Bars
- 1 1/2 cups of graham wafer crumbs
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine melted
- 1 1/2 cups of flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped nuts (I used walnuts but pecans would be great too)
- 1 300 gram package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 squares of Bakers semi-sweet chocolate melted
Step by step photos for Rocky Road BarsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Instructions for Rocky Road Bars
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine graham crumbs with the melted butter. Mix well.
- Press this mixture into a 13" X 9" baking pan.
- Sprinkle the coconut over the top.
- Next layer the nuts over the top of the coconut.
- Now add your chocolate chips on top and finally the marshmallows.
- Drizzle the condensed milk over everything evenly.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once out of the oven drizzle the melted chocolate over the top.
- Cool completely before cutting into square.
- These can be stored in a sealed container in a cold room or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
For all Your Baking Needs
Rocky Road Bars
|Serving size: per bar|
|Calories from Fat||99|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 11 g||17%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 20 g||7%|
|Sugar 16 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 10 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
An easy to follow recipe for a homemade carrot cake from scratch. Instructions and pictures included.
6 ingredients for this fast delicious chocolate fudge. Easy to follow recipe with pictures.
Find out how to correct biting, chewing jumping, rough play, begging, barking and digging when your dog has behavioral problems.