All About Gumbo And The Recipe
Gumbo is and has been for a long time one of my favorite foods on earth. For those of you who don't know Gumbo is a Louisiana Soup that is also popular in other regions of the south especially the Gulf Coast region.
The word Gumbo is an African term for Okra. Gumbo is thickened usually with thinly sliced okra. And it also gives the Gumbo a distinctive flavor that your not going to find anywhere else. But there are as many different versions of Gumbo as there are cooks in the deep south.
Your roux is a very important part of any Gumbo. And the best roux is made from bacon drippings. If you know that your going to be making roux save up your bacon grease and be sure to refrigerate it until needed. To make a wonderful Gumbo start with a heavy cast iron pan and 1 cup of bacon grease and 1 cup of all purpose plain flour. Let your bacon grease melt in the cast iron pan until it is melted and then add your flour. Now over medium heat continue to cook your roux until the flour is really brown but not burnt.
Once your roux is brown about the color of the water of the Mississippi you want to rake it into your large stock pot and add the below.
1. 4 Cups Chopped Fine Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast.
2. 4 Cups Chopped Fine Summer Sausage.
3. 4 Cups Shrimp Peeled , De-veined And The Tails Removed.( Add last hour )
4. 4 Cups of Crab Meat.( Add last hour )
5. 2 Cups Diced Fine Green Peppers.
6. 2 Cups Diced Fine Yellow Onion.
7. 2 Cups Fine Diced Celery.
8. 2 Cups Thinly Sliced Okra Slices.
9. 3 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Garlic.
10. 1 Tablespoon Ground Cayenne Pepper.
11. 1 Tablespoon Salt.
12. 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper.
13. 4 Large Cans Diced Tomatoes With Green Chilies.
14. Canned Chicken Broth To Finish Filling Your Pot.
15. 2-3 6 Ounce Cans Tomato Paste. , According to how large your pot is.
Add all your ingredients to the pot except items you are to add in last hour and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 3-4 hours until it looks like the Gumbo in the picture. In the last hour of cooking time add your shrimp and crab meat.
You will have some of the worlds best Gumbo when you get this recipe finished. I really believe that the Gumbo made from this Gumbo recipe is some of the best Gumbo you will ever eat. There is no better so why not try it out today.
More by this Author
You can print this photo and use it as a label for your Snowman Soup. Here's a really neat ideal that people really seem to love and I'm sure your kids or grand kids will love it to. Its a fun holiday ideal called...
Here you will find my award-winning recipe for beef, pork, and bean chili. Yes, I know, people claim all the time to have the best, but this one really is.
If you want to know exactly how to grow a vegetable garden here is all the information you will ever need.