Italian Tomato Herbed Chicken: Oh So Yummy
A friend of mine made this dish when I was invited over for dinner. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. There is nothing like walking into a house and inhaling the savory, aroma of tomato sauce with herbs cooking slowly on the stove or in a crock pot. This recipe will melt in your mouth. A simple green salad and warm bread will compliment this delectable dish. Bon Appetite!
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 whole medium chicken breasts, skinned and halved lengthwise
- 6 boneless chicken thighs (or legs), skinned
- 1 - 7 1/2 ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 - 2 1/2 ounce jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- or fresh mushrooms if you prefer
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Combine onions, garlic, and 1/2 cup of water.
- Bring to boiling.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until onion and garlic are tender.
- Drain. Add chicken to skillet.
- Combine undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, canned mushrooms, green pepper, basil, salt, bay leaf and a dash of pepper. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in wine. Cook uncovered another 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and skim excess fat from juices.
- Transfer to platter and serve.
|Serving size: 6|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 7 g||2%|
|Protein 45 g||90%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
If you love brussels sprouts and are looking for a new way to cook them, try this out. To die for.
Food labels can be very deceptive. Ingredients can be disgusting. Instructions can be silly. Marketing is ridiculous. Read labels and see for yourself!
Fainting while laughing is a rare occurrence, but it does happen. It's happened to me. Here is a medical description of what is known as Gelastic Syncope.