Top 10 Breakfast Tacos From Texas
OK, Mayor Adler and all you longhorn-loving, live-music-listening, boardwalk-running Austinites, I and all the taco-making, taco-eating, taco-reigning San Antonians will take your challenge and raise you one machacado con huevo taco on a flour tortilla recien hecha (freshly made) con salsa verde. #original512," Taylor said. "Let's finally end this taco-versy with a taste-off. I'll bring some of our favorite tacos and you bring yours.— Mayor Ivy Taylor
Austin mayor, Steve Adler, has declared that we are at war with San Antonio over.... Breakfast Tacos!
“The city of Austin is currently at war with San Antonio over a subject that I know we all hold dear in our hearts. That, of course, is breakfast tacos.”
San Antonio has accepted the challenge and this author will get back to you all on the results.
Texas Taco Wars!
Breakfast Taco Ingredients
Texas Breakfast Tacos
Once you have had an authentic Texas breakfast taco or two or a hundred, you will never settle for plain old breakfasts ever again!
The breakfast taco is an art form. It doesn't have to be for breakfast. These wonderful culinary delights can be eaten at any meal. They can be made the night before and nuked for a hearty hot breakfast. Or they can be packed for lunches.
Although it seems complicated to make a true to Texas breakfast taco, once you have all of the ingredients, they go together fast! And they will be eaten up just as fast.
Basic ingredients for breakfast tacos... (Grocery List)
These ingredients are just suggestions. You can assemble a breakfast taco with all of your favorite standard ingredients, or you can experiment to your heart's delight! Go heavy on meat, or go vegetarian, that's the beauty of breakfast tacos.
The basics are:
- Real, "authentic" corn tortillas - flour tortillas may work for you, but flour tortillas are tasteless compared to true homemade corn tortillas.
- Eggs - usually scrambled, but not necessarily.
- Breakfast meats (in order of personal preference) - bacon, sausage, chorizo, shredded pork, brisket, steak, shredded chicken, Spam®, fish, road kill...(just kidding)
- Cheese - go crazy! Cheddar,, Monterrey Jack, white cheese, goat cheese, feta, any kind of cheese
- Taco Nirvana - Pico de Gallo! If you don't know what this is, you can't make breakfast tacos. (chopped, fresh tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalepeño mix)
- Veggies - potatoes, onions, black beans, re-fried beans, avocados, mushrooms, or whatever vegetables you love (chopped)
- Sauces - This is where the serious breakfast taco eater gets mean. No one will reveal their "special sauces". Maybe it's Pace Picante Sauce®, or maybe it's homemade sauce, or maybe it's a stolen packet of "taco" sauce from Taco Bell®, or maybe it's a special brand of "Mexican" sauce from a grocery store - there are hundreds to choose from!
- Peppers - Jalapeños are common, as are poblano peppers, ancho peppers, or even bell peppers.
- Sour Cream - also a sauce called "crema", which is probably dairy based.
- Miscellaneous - This sounds crazy, but there is a thing called "pickled carrots" (escabeche), and it's delicious on a breakfast taco. Also a thing called "nopal cactus" which is pretty good too. Try pumpkin seeds or crunchy chips. People have been known to put just about anything on a "breakfast taco".
Breakfast Tacos - Basic Construction
- Make and/or warm your salsa, sauce, pico de gallo - Place in a dish to the side.
- Heat up your meat - Use a skillet big enough to heat tortillas in. Some meats, like sausage / chorizo need to be drained. By heating the meats up first, you can move the meat to a paper towel for drainage and use some of the oil left behind to keep the tortillas or the eggs from sticking.
- Heat your tortillas - Real BT fans heat their tortillas on an open flame, but I prefer to use the skillet. Keep the tortillas warm in a towel or in a tortilla warmer.
- Cook your eggs and other ingredients. Use left over oil if needed.
- Assemble the taco. Use one or two tortillas on a plate and fill with any and all ingredients of your choice, Add your salsas and cheese and crema.
- Eat the taco immediately or wrap individual tacos in tin foil for later.
1. Plain Breakfast Taco (BT)
One or two heated corn tortillas, warmed and on a plate.
Two spoons of potatoes - chopped and pan fried with onions
One scrambled egg.
Some cheese - any kind of cheese
Top with Pico and/or salsa
2. Chorizo BT
Chorizo is a Mexican sausage that is crumbled and pan fried. It is usually very greasy and must be drained of grease. But it is extremely high in flavor!
Chorizo is the meat filling of choice for a Texas BT.
Assemble the same way as a plain BT, but add chorizo!
3. Brisket BT
Unfortunately for non-Texans, you must make do with however you cook your briskets wherever you are from. But if you are actually in Texas, you may be fortunate enough to have a genuine smoked BBQ Brisket from Franklin's or Black's or The Salt Lick or any other outstanding BBQ joint.
Chop that brisket up, heat it and slap it in a Breakfast Taco, y'all! Add eggs, pico, cheese, onions, and maybe some hot sauce. Yum!
4. Re-fried Bean BT
Heat up some re-fried beans (Texans know how to make these from scratch), spread the bean paste on the taco, and add eggs and whatever.
Re-fried beans make great vegetarian breakfast tacos.
The best beans to use are Pinto beans or Black beans.
5. Fried Egg BT
Put a fried egg (sunny side up) on a corn tortilla. Add hot sauce. Add some other stuff. Eat it.
Cedar Park, Texas
6. The Dirty Sanchez BT
This one is by far my favorite breakfast taco of all time. It is made by a little company called Torchy's Tacos. The name has a double meaning, but just ignore it. Do not, under any circumstances, 'Google' the name! But if you do, prepare to be grossed out to the max.
"Scrambled eggs with a fried poblano chile,
guacamole, escabeche carrots and shredded
cheese. served with Poblano Sauce on a fresh
corn (or flour) tortilla"
It's crunchy, it's spicy, it's tasty!
7. Bacon, Egg, and Cheese BT
This is a very common breakfast taco. You can find bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast tacos at the local Whataburger®!
This one will probably be your very first attempt at making a BT. But don't stop there. All it takes is practice! In no time at all, you will be making fancy BTs to take to work and impress your friends.
8. Pork Carnitas BT
If you have to ask what pork carnitas are, I am sorry for your loss of never having known the taste of roasted pork, chopped, seasoned, and crispy fried.
You could try to make carnitas from "pulled pork", but for some reason, it's just not the same. I get my pork carnitas from Costco when they have them in stock.
Pork carnitas BTs are best with Hatch green chilies, queso fresco, caramelized onions, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
9. Pulled Chicken BT
Not really one of my favorites, but if the chicken is spicy and the salsa is Hatch green chilies, then I can get down with these.
Try them without cheese, but use a lot of pico de gallo!
10. Fish Tacos for Breakfast?
A lot of people like fish tacos for some reason. Or they may use shrimp or other seafood in a taco. It's not breakfast food in my book, but if it's left over or very fresh it will work in a pinch!
Basically, anything wrapped in a great tortilla qualifies for a breakfast taco!
Badazz Breakfast Taco
11. Badazz Breakfast Taco
This is one I made up one morning and it turned into a super easy, yet tasty badazz breakfast taco!
Corn tortilla + scrambled egg + Whataburger bagged crispy fries (salt & pepper flavor) from HEB.
With or without sauce or salsa. It's just awesome.
Do you prefer breakfast tacos or traditional breakfasts?See results without voting
© 2015 Austinstar
More by this Author
Top 10 Best Texas Food Recipes and How to Cook Like a Texan. Chili, cornbread, beans, home fries, Chicken Fried Steak, spare ribs, brisket, frito pie, enchiladas and pecan pie.
How to make the best pancakes with your quesadilla maker! Faster and fluffier than a regular griddle. Cinnamon spice and Gingerbread pancake recipes. Also banana foster french toast!
Top 10 very effective uses for distilled white vinegar. Cure ringworm, athlete's foot, soothe insect bites, help for yeast infections and more...