Top 10: The best beer available at major retailers produced in mass
First, know that this list reflects my personal opinion and is not based off of any official poll. However, I have quite a bit of experience in the subjects of beer tasting and beer drinking, so I definitely know my way around the beer section in the local supermarket. This list only covers beer which can be found at most major retailers across the U.S., AKA macro-brews, so no craft brews or odd imports. I've left off a lot of good macro-brews such as Lowenbrau and St. Pauli Girl because they are sometimes hard to find. I've also generally tried not to include more than one beer by the same company, though it can be hard to know who owns who anymore. One of the reasons I'm making this list is to hear what other people like via the poll and comments, so please put your two cents in at the bottom.
10. Corona Squeezing in at the end of the list like a lime in the end of it's bottle, Corona has just enough quality to put it above the Budweisers and Coors of the world (fighting words, I know, but those beers are only for getting drunk) Corona is one of the best selling beers in the world, by far the most popular Mexican beer, though popular does not mean best...
9. Budweiser American Ale I know I just dissed Budweiser, but I was talking about the kind you can get in a case of 24 cans. This 2008 offering should be tried before it is knocked, just make sure to serve it cold.
8. Heineken This super popular import from Holland is pretty darn good even at room temp, earning the pale lager a spot on the list.
7. Modelo Especial This beer is the #3 import in the US, putting it behind Corona in sales but not in taste. Looking up that info I found out it is produced by the same company that makes Corona but i'm leaving them both on the list. A lot of people prefer it's "sister beer" Negra Modela, but Especial wins because it goes great with almost any food. As a matter of fact, there is no other beer I would rather have with food than this other than #1.
6. Becks This is the number one exported German beer and the beer that showed me that beer doesn't have to be refrigerated. Good stuff.
5. Guinness Draught A unique entry on the list, Guinness Draught is a dark, creamy beer with a frothy head, the kind in the supermarket has a "widget" in the can that adds nitrogen to make the beer frothy. Has to be served in a cup to be appreciated.
4. Stella Artois This tasty pilsner from Belgium can usually be found hiding in a six-pack of bottles being overshadowed by inferior beers with better shelf spaces. Worth taking to time to spot in the grocery store.
3. New Castle Brown Ale This is an excellent beer, though the price might be a little hard to swallow. I'ts worth shelling out the cash to try a six pack of it at least once in your life.(I'm exaggerating. It's only like $10)
2. Bass This delicious ale's logo, a red triangle, was the United Kingdom's first registered trademark. The beer's longevity should say something for it's quality. This is almost as good as mass-produced beer gets, and the price tag reflects it(about the same as Newcastle)
1. Sam Adam's Boston Lager No macrobrew (mass produced) beer comes close to this, and it's better than most craft-brews too. I've drank hundreds of types of beer, and if I had to pick only one to drink the rest of my life this would it without a doubt. It tastes great and goes great with any food (except maybe ice cream), and it doesn't really cost that much.( it's one of the cheapest on the list).This is THE best beer available in American supermarkets without a doubt.
Disagree? Take the poll!
Which is your favorite?See results without voting
More by this Author
When you have diarrhea, foods such as bananas, toast, and rice,.... can help ease the symptoms and get you feeling better.
How to clean and sanitize beer bottles for home brewing using what you (probably) have around the house.
A recipe and instructions for simple,cheap homemade apple wine .