Tortilla Pizza Recipe with Nutritional Yeast Cheese Topping
In my opinion, pizza is one of the best inventions known to man; it is definitely one of my favorite comfort foods. However, it is getting a bad rap these days for being unhealthy and fattening. I believe all things in moderation are okay so I treat myself to regular pizza from time to time. There is nothing like getting a piping hot pizza delivered to your door.
If you still want to have your pizza but are looking for a healthier alternative to all that dough and fattening cheese, why not try tortilla pizza? Tortillas make a great base for pizza and you can add the same toppings to it that you add to regular pizza. It might even make you experiment...how about adding guacamole to that pizza?
I love tortilla pizza. I have been making it for years and it never fails to please. I recently discovered nutritional yeast and found out that you can make a cheese sauce suitable for pizza. I tried the yeast and it had a decent taste; now I just had to find a recipe, make the sauce and see how it turned out. I found a good recipe on Sparkpeople.com and decided to give it a try. I made the sauce before I made the pizza so I could decide if it was edible or not.
I was a bit nervous as to how it would turn out but I followed the recipe to a tee and it turned out the way it was supposed to.
Nutritional Yeast Cheese Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Mix all the ingredients together in a saucepan, bring to a boil on medium heat, cook until thickened to a cheese sauce consistency.
Tortilla Pizza with Nutritional Yeast Cheese for One
I really liked how this turned out and I will definitely try it again. It is definitely an acquired taste but it is pleasant, a little nutty in my opinion. Nutritional yeast has so many great benefits and it is perfect for those who either can't eat cheese or who are vegan.
With most of my recipes, you can adapt them to your own taste and add as little or as many toppings as you want. I usually add what leftovers I have around the house like peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes; anything you like on your pizza can be added to this one.
I think the next time I will add a little less nutritional yeast cheese on top of the pizza, I think a little goes a long way. But, that is how it is...trial and error. You will have to find your own taste. Regardless, I did eat the whole thing and it was delicious.
- 2 tortillas, 10 inches
- pizza sauce, to taste
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- nutritional yeast cheese topping
- Warm up oven to 425F.
- Take two tortillas (I used whole wheat ones), spread pizza sauce one top of one and place the other tortilla on top. Put them in the oven until slightly toasted.
- Remove tortillas from oven and add pizza toppings.
- Slather as much or as little pizza sauce on top of the tortillas as you want, add chopped onions, add chopped green peppers and top with nutritional yeast cheese.
- Place in oven and cook until the tortillas and the toppings are cooked and nutritional cheese topping is bubbling (8-10 minutes depending on your oven).
- Remove from oven, cut into slices with a pizza cutter, place on a plate and enjoy your healthy pizza.
More by this Author
All of you young people who served in the war. You are a lost generation.... You have no respect for anything. You drink yourselves to death – Gertrude Stein
Every wonder how the martini glass got it's unique shape? The martini glass has an interesting history.
A top 10 list of cartoon characters will always be subjective. Cartoons today are not what they used to be and I fondly remember the characters of my childhood.