Traditional Jamaican Recipes And Food
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad Recipe
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad Recipe
You will need for your, Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad Recipe
1. 1 Cup Of Honey Mustard Dressing.
2. 1 Teaspoon Finely Grated Lemon Zest
3. 4 Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast
4. 1 Tablespoon Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
5. 2 Large Ripe Mango's
6. 1 Large Bag Of Garden Salad
Follow The Below Steps For Your Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad
1. You will want to stir together your honey mustard and lime zest in a small bowl or container with lid and chill in refrigerator while you prepare the chicken.
2. Wash your chicken under running water and then sprinkle the jerk seasoning over the chicken on both sides. Cook the chicken till done in a skillet with hot oil in it. Remove your cooked chicken from the skillet and slice your chicken up into very thin slices.
3. Peel and cut your mango's up into small pieces.
4. Place a bed of salad greens on four well chilled plates and on top of that place your mango and your thinly sliced chicken. Serve at once.
And you will have just created one of the most delicious chicken salads you will ever eat. The flavors go together and compliment one another very well.
Traditional Jamaican Recipes & Food
You will find after some research that the flavors of Jamaica are the product of the islands history. The ocean waters that surround Jamaica simply teem with fish and other forms of seafood and fish and seafood makes up a major part of the diet of the Jamaican people.Snapper, Grouper, Sea Bass, Spiny Lobster and Shrimp are all caught by the Jamaican people and it is these seafood items that have been a part of Jamaican Food for hundreds of years. Chickens and goats are kept by many people on the island but beef is rare. Jamaican Fruits include pineapple, mango, banana, and avocado and these were brought to the island over the years by sailors and plantation owners.
What were once sugar cane fields are now being used to grow fruits for export to the world. And also to be consumed on the island by the Jamaican people and the huge amount of tourists that visit Jamaica each year.
Spanish, British, African and East Indian all have had an influence in the development of the Jamaican Food and how it is prepared and seasoned.
There are few other cuisines that mix such a range of spices and tastes - sweet, hot, and savory as Jamaican cooking. Jamaican cooking wouldn't ever be the same with out the spices and seasonings from the island of Jamaica. Most people agree that Jamaican cooking is a soul satisfying experience. Grown in Jamaica are ginger, garlic, nutmeg, thyme, and the scotch bonnet peppers that Jamaica has become famous for. And don't forget that coconut cake is one of the favorite desserts of the Jamaican people.
Below is the best recipe for coconut cake you will ever eat. This coconut cake recipe made it to America many years ago and most people don't realize it came from Jamaica.
Jamaican Coconut Cake
Jamaican Curried Shrimp
This is a recipe for a really delightful and tasty Jamaican Curried Shrimp.
You will need for your Jamaican Curried Shrimp Recipe
1. 2 Pounds Of Shelled, Deveined Large Shrimp.
2. Salt and Pepper To Taste.
3. 2 Tablespoons Dry Curry Powder.
4. 2 Tablespoons Butter.
5. 1 Large Tomato Peeled And Chopped Fine.
6. 1 Onion Chopped Up Fine.
7. 2 1/2 Tablespoons Plain Flour.
8. 2 Cups Chicken Broth
Now you will want to follow the below steps.
1. In a deep sauté pan you will want to sauté your onions and tomato until the onion is tender. Now add in your shrimp and spices and sauté until your shrimp are done. Remove everything from the sauté pan and set aside. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Gradually whisk in your plain flour and reduce heat to a low simmer. When your broth starts to thicken add your other ingredients back into the pan. Serve over hot buttered white rice. You can make this recipe with spiny lobster or scallops also.
Jamaican Coconut Cake Recipe
Here is the recipe for a delicious coconut cake that has been made in Jamaica for hundreds of years now. And if you make it I think you will agree that it is the best Coconut Cake you will ever eat.
1. 1 Box of Butter Flavor Yellow Cake Mix
2. 2 Cups of Granulated Sugar
3. 2 Cups of Sour Cream
4. 12 Ounces of Frozen Coconut
5. 1 1/2 Cups of Cool Whip Topping
Now you want to follow the below steps to make your coconut cake.
1. First of all you want to prepare your cake mix according to package directions and make two 8 inch layers. You want these to cool completely and then you want to carefully split these in half so you end up with 4 layers.
2. Combine Sugar, Sour Cream, Coconut, and Whip Topping together well and chill for 1 hour before you put the cake together. When you are ready to put the cake together you will need a cake container with lid that you can place into the refrigerator. On a plate put your bottom layer and spread a thin layer of your icing mixture between each layer as you put the cake together. When you have all the layers together you want to apply your icing mixture over the sides and top of your cake. Place your cake into the cake container and place into the refrigerator. Wait at least 48 hours before you cut and serve this cake.
Delicious Jamaican Sandwich Spread
This spread is great as a spread on things like the Jamaican Jerked Chicken Sandwich instead of Mayonnaise or you can use it as a dip for shrimp.
You Will Need For Your Recipe.
1. 1 Cup Mayonnaise.
2. 1/2 Cup Mango.
3. 1 Teaspoon Jamaican Jerk Seasoning.
Place all your ingredients into either a blender or food processor and puree together. You can keep this spread in the refrigerator for up to two weeks in a container with lid.
Banana Fritters , See Recipe Down Below.
Jamaican Jerked Chicken Sandwich
This is a spicy but tasty sandwich that your going to love. You will need to make a trip to the supermarket and buy you a shaker of Jamaican Jerk Seasoning.
You will need for your recipe for Jamaican Jerked Chicken Sandwich
1. 2-4 Skinned Boneless Chicken Breast.
2. 1 Mango Cleaned And Sliced Thin.
3. Plain Hamburger Buns.
5. Jamaican Jerk Seasoning.
You will want to use a meat hammer and apply a thin coating of Jamaican jerk seasoning to each side of your chicken breast. Beat each side of your chicken breast after you sprinkle with the jerk seasoning. Wrap your chicken breasts up in plastic and let them marinade in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
By now you should have your charcoal grill hot and ready to cook your chicken on it. Cook your chicken and turn it often to keep it from burning. When your chicken is done slice thin and place a chicken breast onto the bottom of each bun. On top of the chicken place some thin sliced mango. Spread the top half of the bun with mayonnaise and put the top on each sandwich. And you have just created a wonderful Jamaican Jerked Chicken Sandwich.
You will need for your banana fritters recipe.
1. 3 Bananas
2. 2 Tablespoons Sugar
3. 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
4. 1/3 Cup Of Whole Milk.
5. 6 Tablespoons All Purpose Plain Flour
6. 1/2 Teaspoon Grated Nutmeg
In a food processor add your bananas one at a time while the food processor is running and puree smooth. Add in all your other ingredients and now get a pan ready with vegetable oil. When your oil is hot drop your fritter batter in one large spoonful at a time and fry until brown. You can sprinkle confectioners sugar over your fritters as soon as they come out of the hot oil and serve at once.
Feel Free To Post Your Comments, Tips, Questions Etc. Below.
More by this Author
Are you looking for the world's best no-beans chili? I guarantee that once you make this chili and taste it, you'll agree that it's the best recipe in the world.
Here you will find my award-winning recipe for beef, pork, and bean chili. Yes, I know, people claim all the time to have the best, but this one really is.
If you want to know exactly how to grow a vegetable garden here is all the information you will ever need.