Traditional Jamaican Recipes - How to cook Callaloo and Saltfish
How to cook callaloo and saltfish
This recipe is a quick and simple way to cook an authentic jamaican breakfast, lunch or dinner, thanksgiving or christmas. It is usually served with dumplings, plantain, hard food, rice or bread. Callaloo is a green vegetable that grows abundantly on the island and sometimes compared to spinach with its leafy texture. It is very fibrous and contains loads of iron and vitamin c.
Other Jamaica Saltfish Recipes
- 1 tin of callaloo or a fresh bundle
- 1 half of onion
- 2 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 1 cutlet of saltfish (500 grams)
- Boil saltfish in a deep pot of water for 45 minutes to rid of the excess salt. You can can the water twice or reboil if needed. Strip off the skin and break saltfish steak into small pieces.
- Prepare callaloo by opening and draining water from the tin. If you have fresh callaloo, wash it thoroughly and remove all seeds and flowers. Strip the translucent skin from the outer stalks and chop up finely.
- Heat up two tablespoons of butter or coconut oil in a pot or a pan for which you have a cover. Add half a diced onion. Fry until golden brown.
- Add callaloo with blackpepper and stir in well, cover the pot or pan and allow to steam on a low fire for 15 to 20 minutes. Don't add water as it will cook under its own natural water and undrained water from tin. Give it the occasional stir every now and then.
When finished steaming, add saltfish and stir in. Serve with hardough bread, fried dumplings, breadfruit, plantain, rice or hardfood. Add hot pepper to taste and enjoy!
More by this Author
This will show you how use a microchip and c code to write text to an LCD. It includes the schematic and very useful for beginners to embedded systems.
Finding or hacking your wep key could be useful for many reasons. I am going to teach you how to find your wep key using your registry or free software. You can also use it to recover you wpa psk key...
A quick guide on how to make money really quickly from conventional sources. Its much easier than you might think and jut requires a tiny bit of thought and action.