Traditional Jamaican Recipes - Fried saltfish
How to cook saltfish
Saltfish is a very popular food used in many different traditional dishes in Jamaica. It was introduced during the days of slavery, imported by the slavemasters as a cheap protein food source. Becaus cod was abundant in the west it was cheap, merchants used to salt the cod to preserve it for the long journey to the caribbean from the ports of the UK, Holland, France and Spain.
Other Jamaican saltfish recipes
- one 500 gram cutlet of salted cod
- 1 cup of chopped onions
- half cup of freshly chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- Prepare saltfish by boiling off the excessive salt. This can be done once or twice but I recommend atleast 45 minutes of continuous boiling. Strip off the skin and break up fish unto small pieces.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of vegetable or coconut oil in a frying pan. Stir in a cup of diced onions and allow to fry.
- When onions are slightly cooked, add tomatoes. Leave to fry until oil has a slight red tinge to it. Add saltfish and stir in well. Let it cook for another 5 minutes on a high fire. Serve with hard dough bread, rice or hard food. This recipe will serve four people. Enjoy!
More by this Author
This will show you how use a microchip and c code to write text to an LCD. It includes the schematic and very useful for beginners to embedded systems.
Finding or hacking your wep key could be useful for many reasons. I am going to teach you how to find your wep key using your registry or free software. You can also use it to recover you wpa psk key...
A quick guide on how to make money really quickly from conventional sources. Its much easier than you might think and jut requires a tiny bit of thought and action.