Trinidad West Indian Coconut Bake Recipe
Just a little about Coconut Bake
I can remember being a little boy in Trinidad my mother preparing coconut bake. This pastry is widely known in the Caribbean as being very fulfilling, but also makes a great snack. With flour as its main ingredient, a slice of coconut bake is notorious for putting one straight to sleep on a full belly.
Once prepared one can have a slice with butter or jam spread on it for breakfast. Most people in the West Indies have coconut bake and saltfish, which is the Cod cured with salt and then stewed with a variety of vegetables.
This pairing is in fact extremely popular at Caribbean festivities and West Indian restaurants around the world. You can garnish it with whatever you wish. But this coconut bake recipe tastes great just by itself, so enjoy.
- Prep time: 45 min
- Cook time: 35 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 20 min
- Yields: This coconut bake recipe makes 24 servings.
- 6 cups Flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking powder
- 3 tablespoons Margarine
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1.5 cups Coconut, Shredded
- 1.5 cups Water
- You may want to sift a few times to ensure an even mix of flour and baking powder.
- Use a butter spread vs. margarine for a healthier choice.
- If dough sticks to surfaces, add a little more flour
- Sift baking powder and flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Rub margarine into flour/baking powder mix with a spoon.
- Mix in sugar, shredded coconut, and water. Knead well.
- On a smooth sterilized surface, dust lightly with flour.
- Roll dough into ball (on surface) then let sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven 350-360 degrees.
- With a clean rolling pin, roll out ball (from center) into a flat circle. Thickness should be no more than 2 inches (5 cm).
- Grease or lightly flour your baking pan. Although this should be a pizza pan, you can use some other form of shallow backing surface.
- Place dough on pan and decorate with fork. (See 12th photo down for details)
- Bake for no more than 35 minutes (oven times may vary). Poke with knife to see if the coconut bake is done on inside.
This makes for a great addition for when baking. Parchment paper eliminates the annoyance of foods sticking to cooking surfaces. It reduces the need to add grease or non-stick sprays, thus making it an excellent choice for those concerned with their diet.
The Reynolds Parchment Paper can withstand oven temps of up to 420 degrees Fahrenheit and cuts down on clean up duties. Check in the baking aisles of your local grocer.
As with all things, too much of anything can be a hazard to your health. With that said, feel free to use discretion with the ingredients in this recipe; particularly the margarine/butter and shredded coconut.
There is an unsweetened version of the shredded coconut in stores which you are encouraged to try. Also, please use common sense when selecting your butter.
|Serving size: 2 -3 oz slice|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 39 g||13%|
|Sugar 12 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
Backpage can be a very effective place to advertise anything from your small business to The Rolling Stones memorabilia, but the knowledge of basic HTML codes can be even more powerful.
The benefits of ginger can do marvels for your life expectancy. Many health problems can be avoided by including it into your diet. This delicious Ginger Beer recipe is a great way to get it in your system.
Thinking about introducing the Chihuahua into your home? Make sure that you understand their temperaments in advance.