Truffle Garlic and Himalayan Salt Spinach Chips Recipe
Move over, potato chips! As people, myself included, work towards a healthier lifestyle, they seek out healthier foods to eat. Spinach chips are a snack item that are a healthier alternative to the all ready packaged potato chips. Spinach chips are chips that are made by baking spinach leaves. They seem to be coming into their own and establishing a popularity.
Making spinach chips are one of the easiest and quickest new healthy snack items and vegetable chips to bake homemade. I have tried to make my own zucchini chips, and even the fruit banana chips. While those came out all right, there was something about them that didn't make them come out as I had imagined they would and keep their crispy-ness. This is one reason why I love spinach chips the most.
Since I have started eating spinach, especially mostly baby spinach, I have grown practically obsessed with this vegetable. I have heard of kale chips before, but personally I'm not fond of kale. To me, they seem pretty bitter in taste. Ever since I found out about spinach chips, I knew I just had to give it a try! The conclusion ended up in more fuel to my spinach obsession fire. I loved spinach chips so much after I tried them, I decided to play around with different flavors, and using a basic recipe as the basis. Thus, I created these Truffle Garlic and Himalayan Salt spinach chips.
To make this flavor for the Truffle Garlic and Himalayan Salt spinach chips, all I use is Black Truffle Garlic Olive Oil (pre-mixed and bought at a local specialty olive oil store) and Himalayan Pink salt.
Another delicious flavor, should you want it a little plainer, is Sea Salted Spinach Chips. All you have to do is swap out the truffle garlic olive oil for regular extra virgin olive oil, and swap out the pink salt for sea salt. You can also if you want, swap out just the oil and keep the Himalayan salt to make Himalayan Pink Spinach chips. It doesn't matter what you decide to do, you can still follow the steps below as it works with most combinations.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy these spinach chips! Without further ado, here is my Truffle Garlic and Himalayan Salt Spinach Chips recipe:
- 2 cups Baby Spinach Leaves, big, healthy looking leaves washed & whole
- 3 Teaspoons Black Truffle Garlic Olive Oil
- a couple pinches of Himalayan Pink Salt, to taste
- PAM cooking spray, (or whichever brand / type of cooking spray you prefer)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil, and spray with cooking oil. I use two baking sheets to just bake a batch once. Set aside.
- Rinse and put the baby spinach leaves in a bowl. Add the black truffle garlic olive oil and with a spoon, mix it well without breaking or tearing the leaves.
- Sprinkle the Himalayan pink salt onto the leaves and mix well until all leaves are coated.
- Take the foil lined baking sheet and arrange the leaves in a single layer without any overlaps.
- Bake in the oven for 6 minutes. Remove them from the oven and carefully flip over the leaves.
- Put the spinach leaves back in the oven to bake a little more. Bake in the oven for another 6 minutes. This is so we can get the spinach chips to be crispy and chip-like, and make sure both sides get the same amount of exposure.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for another 2 minutes.
- Using a spatula, transfer them into a bowl or plate.
- TIP: Make them in batches. Do not overcrowd the baking sheet. Every leaf should be exposed to the heat.
- In a serving bowl or plate, serve the spinach chips with a refreshing beverage.
With my new love for spinach chips and not the all ready packaged store bought kind, I plan on giving up the greasy potato chips for good. I hope you enjoy the spinach chips as much as I do! Happy Cooking!
© 2014 Alyssa Scheidemann
More by this Author
An article on the best activities to do in Key West, Florida. It mentions examples of many restaurants, bars, entertainment, and romantic places in the area.
A travel article on travel activities and places to go in Naples, Florida during the twilight hours. It is more specifically on the top five best places to watch the sunset in Naples, Florida.
An article on the best "hidden gem" places to go to in Naples, Florida. A "Hidden Gem" is a place that is small, superb, & local. It mentions restaurants/bars, shops, & romantic places in...