Turkey in White Sauce - Creamed Turkey
Creaming - or dicing a leftover meat to serve in a white sauce - is a longtime favorite for the cook and the diner. It is silky smooth, rich delicious, and tops lots of favorite foods lists. This version is perfect for creamed turkey, and it may be served in a number of ways. It's an ideal way to make use of up leftover turkey or chicken, and as a plus it's an low-cost meal also. Use this to top rice or buttered spaghetti, or try it out on toast, biscuits or puff pastry. You may even us it as a filling for crepes.
Go ahead and modify this recipe prefer. Several herbs go well here, including ground sage, thyme and rosemary. Or pick your own favorite!
Creamed Turkey - The Recipe
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 3/4 cup sliced up fresh mushrooms
* 3 tbsps flour
* 1 1/2 cups whole milk
* 1/2 cup hot chicken broth
* 1 2 ozjardiced pimiento, drained
* 4 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken
* 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
* 1/2 cup baby frozen peas
* Kosher salt, to taste
* ground black pepper, to taste
Creamed Turkey - Instructions
1. In a big skillet over medium heat, melt butter and sauté onions and fresh mushrooms till mushrooms are soft and onions are soft and translucent.
2. Sprinkle in flour, mixing until it is well incorporated. Slowly whisk in milk and broth, stirring consistently and bring to a boil.
3. Decrease heat to a simmer. Stir in pimientos, turkey, nutmeg, peas and pepper and salt. Simmer till thick and bubbly, but don't boil.
4. Taste and adjust for seasoning, and serve hot over rice, noodles, toasted bread, pastry or biscuits.
Visit the Websites!
- Thrillbilly Gourmet
Eat real food! Combining classic technique with everyday food for spectacular results!
- Recipes for Leftover Turkey
No idea what to do with all that turkey? No problem - you've come to the right place. If you need recipes for leftover turkey, browse our collection. From turkey pot pie to turkey and dumplings, the best of the best are on this site!
More by this Author
My children adore fried chicken, and I have to admit that after years of tweaking, I make some pretty amazing Southern Style Fried Chicken. It's the real thing —buttermilk and salt-brined overnight, seasoned and...
This is how Southerners make perfect, moist, crunchy, tasty fried chicken.
Cast iron is wonderful stuff, but it does take some extra care and knowhow to keep it at its best. Here's all you need to know about maintaining its non-stick luster.