Tuscan Stuffed Bell Peppers with Zucchini Side Dish
Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers
Rate This Recipe
Vegetarian Dishes that are Low Carb
Eating vegetables is a must for a low carb, low glycemic diet. While meats, eggs and cheeses are generally low glycemic, they have no fiber and none of the nutritional value of fruits and vegetables.
The trick is to balance eating very low carbohydrate foods with high nutrient dense vegetables. Many vegetables are low glycemic, meaning that they do not initiate blood sugar spikes. A spike in blood sugar also means a spike in insulin levels. Insulin causes the body to store fat when the levels are high.
Finding low carb vegetables is easy. Making them tasty is another matter. Most vegetables are rather bland tasting to the millions of meat eaters out there. It's all about adjusting taste preferences. Small amounts of high flavor go a long way to make vegetarian dishes taste, smell and look more appetizing.
How to Use This Recipe
Tuscan stuffed bell pepper stuffing is also used for stuffing white mushrooms or portabella mushrooms. Simply clean the vegetable of your choice and use this stuffing inside of the hollow part.
Mushrooms are one of the top 50 health foods. They provide anti-oxidants helpful in preventing cancer.
Bell peppers are also one of the top 50 health foods. Sweet peppers contain high levels of vitamin C, vitamin A, fiber and anti-cancer properties. Bell peppers are probably better for you than mushrooms, but some people just love the texture and taste of mushrooms.
Experiment with other vegetables too. Try using this stuffing for avocados or squashes. It is a good, high flavor Italian style mix to use for just about any dish.
Making the Stuffed Bell Peppers
Preparation and Cook Time
Ingredients for Tuscan Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 2 large Green or Red or Yellow Bell Peppers, halved with membranes and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers, either from a jar or grill roasted
- 1/2 cupped chopped garlic stuffed green olives, from a jar
- 2 chopped green onions
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil, optional
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese, (may substitute grated Parmesan cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, coarse or freshly ground is nice
Stuffing Mix and Baking Steps
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. (200 Celsius)
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the diced roasted red bell peppers, chopped garlic stuffed olives, chopped green onions and grated pecorino Romano cheese. Stir to mix.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the mixture, add the salt and pepper and mix all together coating the mix with the spices and oil.
- Stuff the mixture into the bell pepper halves and bake in a shallow cookie pan along with the zucchini side dish (below) for 20 - 25 minutes until the tops are browned.
- Allow to cool for five minutes before serving. A sprinkle of parsley or other herbs makes this dish look very appetizing.
|Serving size: 1 half stuffed bell pepper|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Unsaturated fat 15 g|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|Cholesterol 15 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Parmesan Zucchini Side Dish
Cut two or three zucchini into wedges. Coat with a little olive oil, grated Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Turn once or twice during baking.
Bake along with the stuffed bell peppers and use as a vegetarian side dish. These two dishes go well together or can be used as a side dish for a non-vegetarian meal.
Tuscany - Great Italian Food
The Mediterranean diet includes may delicious recipes from this part of Italy!
What is Tuscan Style Food?
Tuscany is a part of Italy and lies on the Northernmost area of the Mediterranean sea. Tuscan food includes fresh meats and vegetables with contemporary Italian spices and herbs.
While there is no defining element to Tuscan style food, it is generally considered to be very Italian and Mediterranean in flavors and preparation.
This style of cooking includes fresh ingredients, preferably home grown. Coarse chopping is key for most recipes. Olive oil is the basic ingredient in almost anything made in the area. It is also considered to be heart healthy and diabetic friendly.
© 2012 Austinstar
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE76
Top 10 Best Texas Food Recipes and How to Cook Like a Texan. Chili, cornbread, beans, home fries, Chicken Fried Steak, spare ribs, brisket, frito pie, enchiladas and pecan pie.
Muffins are the easiest of recipes to make at home. Controlling the ingredients allow you to make healthy and delicious whole wheat based muffins. Add blueberries, pineapple or other fruits to make the whole wheat...
Discover the methods and meanings behind criminal prison tattoos: An in-depth article exploring the various designs and their interpretations, with photos.