Twice Baked Potato & Cheese Casserole Recipe
Are you looking for an interesting way to serve potatoes? When you're tired of standard baked potato or mashed potato side dishes, consider trying your hand at making your own Twice Bake Potato & Cheese Casserole Recipe.
This delicious recipe is easy to make and goes well with any type of meaty main course recipe, especially a flavorful pot roast recipe or grilled steak. It is also a great side to accompany your favorite chicken, turkey, or pork entree.
Recipe for Twice Bake Potato & Cheese Casserol
- 4 large Idaho potatoes
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1 small yellow or red onion
- 1 cup of sour cream (regular or reduced fat; do not use fat free)
- 8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Bake the Potatoes
Scrub the potatoes and prick them with a fork. Cook the either by wrapping in foil and cooking in the microwave (per instructions for your particular microwave oven) or by wrapping them in foil and baking them in the oven at 400 degrees for one hour.
2. After the Potatoes are Cooked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the bacon to the skilled and cook until it is crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and crumble.
- Drain about half of the bacon dripping out of the skillet.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Add the onion to the skillet and sauté until it is crisp tender.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks.
- Melt the butter
- Spray a 10 X 13 casserole dish with Pam or another brand of non-stick cooking spray.
- Place all of the ingredients into the casserole dish and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Baked for 25 minutes or until the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- If you want a slightly different flavor, consider one of these interesting recipe variations
- Try using diced ham instead of bacon. If you choose this option, sauté the onions in the melted butter.
- Use shredded Pepper Jack cheese instead of cheddar to enjoy a spicy flavor.
- Consider stirring in cayenne pepper in addition to or instead of the black pepper for added spiciness.
- Stir chopped green onions into the mixture prior to baking.
- Top individual servings with additional bacon crumbles, cheese, and sour cream.
- When sautéing the onions, add in ½ cup of fresh sliced mushrooms and include them in the casserole prior to baking.
More by this Author
Are you looking for a great place to enjoy a leisurely Sunday brunch in Mobile, AL. There are many great places where you can enjoy a wonderful weekend brunch meal all over town. 4 Favorite Restaurants for Sunday...