Ultimate Beef and Bacon Stuffed Green Peppers
Stuffed bell peppers are an easy meal to cook, and this recipe lets you use up leftovers, too. I used ground beef, bacon, and chorizo (cuban sausage) but you could use left over turkey, ham, or even chicken instead of chorizo. This recipe takes about an hour to make, but only about 25 minutes of prep time. Use left over rice and precook the ground beef for a quick week day dinner.
Here's what you will need:
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 3 or 4 slices of bacon
- 1/4 large onion
- two cloves of garlic
- Adobe all seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of uncooked rice (or 1 cup of cooked)
- 1/4 cup of tomato sauce ( I used left over spaghetti sauce, you could also use ketchup)
- olive oil
If you are cooking rice, you will want to get that started now. I use a rice cooker, so I just dump in the rice, water, and a little oil.
1. Fry the bacon strips extra crispy. (I usually microwave it for 2 minutes before frying) Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
2. In the same pan you cooked the bacon in add ground beef, diced garlic, and chopped onions. DO NOT REMOVE THE BACON GREASE! It adds flavor to the beef and you can drain off the oil after the beef is done.
3. As the beef cooks, season with cumin, all spice, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pre-heat your oven to 350. After the beef is cooked most of the way through, add the tomato sauce. The amount of sauce you use is pretty open. If you drain off oil from the beef and bacon, add a bit more sauce or the meat will be dry.
5. Crumble two of the three strips of bacon. (save one strip for garnish) Add the bacon and rice to the pan with the beef.
6. Cut the tops of each bell pepper off, remove seeds then rinse. Rub a little olive oil on the out side of the peppers to help them brown in the oven.
7. Stuff each pepper with the beef and rice mixture. Press down on the beef so you can fit as much in each pepper as possible.
8. Place peppers in a pan and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the peppers begin to brown.
More by this Author
10 great easy ways to reuse or recycle wine bottles. Reuse wine bottles around the house or create homemade gifts!
A list of cheap things to do in Jacksonville FL. It doesn't matter if you are visiting Jacksonville or live here, you can always find cheap entertainment in Jacksonville.
How to Make Resin Jewelry: A detailed step by step tutorial on creating unique jewelry pieces from resin.