How to make healthy Cabbage soup. Vegetarian and vegan friendly recipe.
Health benefits of cabbage soup.
Cabbage soup has had a great many claims made about it over the years relating to the health benefits of eating it by the bowlful, including helping you to lose weight, helping in the prevention of cancer, particularly colon cancer, helping with the treatment of Alzheimer’s and even slowing down the aging process. The fact is that this soup is indeed a very healthful food for various reasons, it is also very tasty and hearty, just the thing to warm you up on a cold winter's night.
1) Cabbage soup is high in vitamin C and fibre. This makes it an excellent food for intestinal health and speedy transit. It might even help to prevent colon cancer. This speedy transit also helps with the relief of constipation
2) Cabbage is very high in potassium, which is a vital ingredient in keeping the heart healthy. Potassium is also important for general muscle health.
3) Cabbage is a low glycemic vegetable. This means that cabbage soup can help to control blood sugar and insulin levels. Having a bowl or two of cabbage soup twice a week can really help to detox your system.
4) Phytonutrients found in cabbage help to stimulate your genes and encourage them to increase production of enzymes that help to detoxify your cells. This means that cabbage soup can help to remove potential carcinogens from your body.
5) Cabbage is a low calorie food. Add that to it’s high levels of fibre and it can really help with weight loss.
I have tried and tested several different cabbage soups but have found this one to be the simplest to prepare and also the tastiest. It is also vegan friendly.
Cabbage Soup Recipe
I large green cabbage roughly chopped
4oz chopped spinach leaves
2 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 diced carrot
3 cloves of chopped garlic
1 pint of vegetable stock
1tsp black pepper
In a large heavy based pan bring the vegetable stock up to the boil. Add all of the other ingredients reduce the heat and simmer the cabbage soup for about twenty minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remember to stir the cabbage soup occasionally to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan. When the soup is cooked lemon zest can be sprinkled on top to add some extra zing to it. Try serving the cabbage soup with some freshly made herb croutons too. Simply remove the crusts from thick sliced bread, cut the bread into cubes then shallow fry them until they are golden brown in a little olive oil and then sprinkle the cubes with chopped fresh herbs. You can use dried herbs if you don’t have any fresh ones handy.
Try serving this soup with some wonderful tasting mini corn fritters.
For more vegetarian and vegan recipes, tips and ideas please find the time to visit my blog.
Books about the cabbage soup diet for sale on Amazon.
Chocolate as a medicine.
- Chocolate as medicine.
Chocolate as medicine. Chocolate as a medicine? That just sounds too good to be true, doesnt it, but there actually is some pretty good scientific evidence out there that chocolate can indeed be good...
More by this Author
Egg free, dairy free but still really tasty cake toppings, save money by making your own. Is it possible to make truly delicious vegan and vegetarian cake toppings? Yes it is, simply follow these easy recipes.
Are you a vegetarian who still craves the taste of good old fashioned British fish and chips? Crave no more, for here is a great tasting recipe using halloumi cheese as a fish substitute. Lovely crisp batter, chunky...
Cleaning suede doesn't need to be difficult or expensive. You can get rid of dirt and dust from your suede, both real or faux, at home. Follow these simple instructions for cleaning suede.