Valentine's Day Cookie Recipe: Bottom of My Heart Cookies
These cookies are delightful to add to any tea party or Valentine's Day celebration. The subtle spices of cinnamon and cloves is barely noticeable within the main butter flavor. Not only are they tasty, but they are easy to make. The recipe comes from Victoria Classics Teatime Bliss.
Victoria Classics Magazine
Please rate this recipe
In addition to the typical baking equipment you will need cookie cutters in these sizes:
1 (3 inch) heart-shaped cookie cutter
1 (1 inch) heart-shaped cookie cutter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1 T heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butter flavor
- 1/2 cup preserves or jam, red plum, raspberry, strawberry or current
- sprinkling Confectioner's Sugar
How to make Valentine CookiesClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to make Bottom of My Heart Cookies
- In a medium mixing bowl beat butter until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar and mix for 1 minute longer.
- Add salt and egg yolk and mix until blended.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat until mixture pulls together.
- With mixer at lowest speed, blend in cream, vanilla extract, and butter flavor.
- Form dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Using a 3 inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out dough. With a 1 inch heart-shaped cookie cutter cut out centers of half of the cookies. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 14 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely, about 30 minutes, before spreading filling on them.
- Spread 1 tsp of jam or preserves on the cookie without the centers removed. Sprinkle confectioner's sugar onto cookies with centers removed. Carefully place cutout cookies over the jam filled cookies. Store in airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Note: Bake the center cutouts and decorate as you want.
More by this Author
Graham crackers are a versatile food-satisfying, a quick snack, and easy to keep. Here are 7 ways to use graham crackers for a sweet treat or holiday decoration.
Have you ever experienced 'fondue'? If not, the Melting Pot Restaurant is a great place to hold a special celebration. The food is tasty and the dining experience is unique and fun.
If you're in a hurry to go out and don't have time to wash clothes, follow these proven tips to make dirty clothes smell clean (and fool those standing near you!).