Scallops and Risotto for Two
Step by Step Visual instructions
Eloquent and Simple Dinner at Home
Valentine's Day or special day or just because it is Wednesday. This meal is easy but looks so eloquent.
Pesto with Lemon Risotto
The risotto is the only part of this meal that is "high maintenance" because it must be attended to by constant stirring and watching. Do not be intimidated as it is fairly easy.
Prep. Time: 45 mins. Cook Time: Rissotto 30 mins. Scallops: 10 mins
- 1 Cup of rice usually Aborio or Riso Fino (sold in the pasta section. Do not buy already made Risotto rice in the box like Ricearoini--that will not work)
- 3-cloves of garlic
- 1 small shallot
- 1/3 cup of white wine
- 3 cups of Chicken stock
- 3 Tablespoons of Pesto (brand does not matter;use your favorite)
- 1 Small Lemon
- Chop garlic and shallot. Add olive oil to pan, saute shallot FIRST, then add garlic. Saute about 2-3 minutes careful not to burn the garlic as it will taste bitter.
- Add rice. Saute rice for about 3 minutes careful not to burn. Add more olive oil if necessary. You want the rice coated.
- Turn down heat. Add 1/3 cup of white wine (drink any left overs as you cook. It will help you to focus and relax).
- In a separate sauce pan heat chicken stock. Once heated, add stock 1 ladle at a time to rice. Listen for the sizzle, hear it? It means you are cooking the risotto correctly.
Each time you add the chicken stock, stir it completely into the rice. The rice will get creamy. Once the stock is incorporated into the rice, add another ladle each time making sure the ladle of stock is completed stirred into the rice.
**START PREPARATION OF SCALLOPS FOR OVEN (SEE RECIPE BELOW) BUT KEEP HALF YOUR ATTENTION TO THE RICE. Geesh!! Maybe this isn't so easy. Starting to think going out to dinner would be better! Is my husband playing me for a fool with this "I hate forced holidays BS?"
- Cook rice about 10-15 minutes. Constantly stirring. YES this rice is high maintenance. NEVER put all the stock into the rice OR put a lid on the pan and walk away! Repeat NEVER put all the stock in at once and NEVER PUT A LID ON THE PAN!
- Once all the chicken stock is used. Squeeze the juice of one lemon (avoid getting seeds into the rice). Use a micro plane to make about 1-2 teaspoons of lemon zest to put into the rice. (Note: a micro plane is a grater about the size of a knife. Wonderful tool that can be purchased at any kitchen store OR simply use a cheese grater)
- Lastly, add about 3 tablespoons of Pesto to the mixture and stir. Set aside risotto
If you can buy fresh scallops. great, if not I have found wonderful frozen ones at places like Costco and Sam's Club.
- 1 1/2 pounds of Scallops ( I use the large scallops not the little itty bitty ones that I have been told are not "real" scallops)
- 4 Tablespoons of butter (real butter)
- 1/2 Cup of Seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1/4 cup of good Parmesan-- grated.
- 3 cloves of garlic(you can use the already chopped kind in the little jar-use about 3Tablespoons.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F ( 200 degrees C)
- Pour melted butter into 2 quart glass baking dish making sure entire bottom of dish is covered with the melted butter.
- Arrange scallops in dish making sure they are all evenly spread into one layer.
- In separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, parsley,minced garlic and cheese. Mix well.
- Sprinkle dry ingredients over scallops
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Check on your rice, add chicken stock, sip some wine.
Are you still with me? You are almost done! Save the spinach for last.
- 1 Bag of cleaned spinach(fresh bunches of spinach can be used too. The bagsare easier because they are already cleaned and cut butcost more than buying a bunch.)
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- Olive oil
- 1/2 half of the juice from the lemon you used for the Lemon Pesto Risotto
- Coat the bottom of a large saute pan with olive oil
- Saute garlic, again making sure not to burn it
- Add spinach and saute
- At lemon juice
Serve up scallops, risotto and spinach on plates. Add some fresh bread and California Chardonnay.
Enjoy! Happy Valentine's Day :X
Serving Size 1 scallop (2" x 1-1/4" x 3/4")
Amount Per Serving Calories from Fat 16 Calories 35 % Daily Values*Total Fat 1.75g3% Saturated Fat 0.355g2% Polyunsaturated Fat 0.538g Monounsaturated Fat 0.706g Cholesterol 9mg3%Sodium 78mg3%Potassium 54mg Total Carbohydrate 1.68g1% Dietary Fiber 0.1g0% Sugars 0.13g Protein 2.9g Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 1%Calcium 1%Iron 1%
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
Calories357.2 Total Fat28.6 g Saturated Fat16.4 g Polyunsaturated Fat1.2 g Monounsaturated Fat9.1 g Cholesterol66.3 mg Sodium284.8 mg Potassium53.6 mg Total Carbohydrate21.2 g Dietary Fiber0.3 g Sugars0.1 g Protein4.6 g Vitamin A18.6 % Vitamin B-122.3 % Vitamin B-63.0 % Vitamin C8.7 % Vitamin D4.0 % Vitamin E4.8 % Calcium10.3 % Copper3.2 % Folate11.8 % Iron7.3 % Magnesium3.1 % Manganese13.0 % Niacin5.6 % Pantothenic Acid 3.6 % Phosphorus 8.2 % Riboflavin2.9 % Selenium10.3 % Thiamin8.4 % Zinc3.6 %*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
More by this Author
Historic western town of Julian located in Southern California and nestled in the mountains above San Diego. Fascinating history where former slaves and Confederate soldiers seemingly co-existed.
Need to raise funds for your school art, music, sports, drama programs? Here a few tips from a Hubber whose raised thousands for schools.
Historic Grafton ghost town on the National Register of Historic Sites in Southwestern Utah.