Vegan Risotto Recipe
A Risotto is an Italian rice dish, usually made with Arborio (or similar vaiety of rice), served as a starter. Risotto's have a creamy, rich and smooth consistency and are very easy to prepare. In this recipe we will prepare a Vegan version with grilled Zucchini.
- 1 large saucepan to make the risotto
- 1 small saucepan to simmer the stock
- 1 frying pan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 250g Risotto Arborio Rice
- 1 glass white wine
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 zucchini cut into strips
- 1 zucchini cut into small pieces
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Balsamic Glaze (optional)
1. Prepare your vegetable stock
- Boil some hot water, and pour into the small sauepan.
- Add your stock cubes and stir well
- Reduce to the lowest heat and allow to simmer gently
- Remember to taste the stock as this will influence the flavour of the Risotto
2. Soften the onion and garlic
- Place your olive oil in the large sauce pan and gently soften the onions on a low heat for 3 minutes
- Then add your garlic and continue to cook for a further 1 minute
3. Add the Rice
- Add the butter to the onions and garlic and pour in the rice
- Stir well to ensure the rice is coated well
- Fry for 2 minutes until the rice begins to turn translucent
4. Add the wine
- Pour in the glass of white wine and turn up the heat for 1 minute until the wine has evaporated
5. Add the stock and simmer
- Then add a ladle full of your gently simmering vegetable stock and stir into the rice
- Turn the heat to the lowest
- Once this has been absorbed by the rice, add another ladle full
- Continue with this process, continuously stirring to ensure the stock is absorbed evenly.
6. Add the vegetables
- After 15 minutes, add the chopped zucchini and stir well
- You can also add mushrooms at this stage
7. Fry the Zucchini strips
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry your Zucchini strips for 2 minutes on each side until golden. Set aside
8. Finish the rice
- Once the rice is cooked (about 20-25 minutes), turn off the heat, grate some fresh Parmesan cheese into it (optional) and throw in the final 1 tsp of butter.
- Stir well, then cover and leave for 2 minutes.
- Serve your rice in a dish of your choice, topped with the strips of fried Zucchini and optionally drizzle balsamic glaze over the top. Enjoy.
Other Vegan Risotto Inspirations
- Butternut Squash & Saffron Risotto
An easy recipe for a saffron infused risotto with Butternut squash & butterbeans
- Apricot Risotto
The apricots in this risotto turn from sweet to elegantly savory with the slow addition of vegetable broth. The whole process of making risotto is pretty
- Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto
- Aubergine Risotto
More by this Author
Step by step recipe on how to make the perfect Pizza Dough Base which is not only stretchy but full of flavour.