Veggie Soups - Quick and Easy Vegetable Soup
Easy Homemade Vegetable Soup
Anytime something is so good that my kids voluntarily scarf up veggies I'm thrilled. This came about because my daughter wanted spaghetti sauce soup - literally a soup that was pretty much just spaghetti sauce. I didn't end up with what she was after, but she loved this one anyway.
I also love that this goes together in minutes. Including the prep time you might need 30 minutes from start to finish. LOVE it. This soup is satisfying and rich, delicious and filling. It also is nearly fat free - depending on the amount of Parmesan you end up using. You can also add or subtract veggies to suit your taste. Easy peasy winner winner.
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1/2 small butternut squash, grated
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 Tbl dried oregano
- 1 piece (about 1/2 cup grated) Parmesan cheese
- 2 large tomatoes, diced, or 1 12 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 quart chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh parsley, croutons and/or Parmesan to garnish
- Place all ingredients except tomato paste and garnishes in a Dutch oven or small stockpot over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. You're looking for the vegetables to become tender, and the cheese to melt and incorporate into the soup.
- Add tomato paste, stirring well to fully incorporate. Cook another five minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish. Serve immediately.
- The Thrillbilly Gourmet
Combining classic technique with everyday food for spectacular results!
More by this Author
A classic from your childhood, or a favorite of today. Yellow cake with chocolate frosting made from scratch.
This is how Southerners make perfect, moist, crunchy, tasty fried chicken.
Cast iron is wonderful stuff, but it does take some extra care and knowhow to keep it at its best. Here's all you need to know about maintaining its non-stick luster.