Veggies Recipe that Kids will Love
Making kids eat vegetables is a great challenge to every parent. We need to be creative so we could convince them to eat nutritious food. There are several ways to do this. One is to garnish with colourful or artistic edibles like fruits and / or vegetables. Another is to mix vegetable with creamy sauce, which a lot of kids would really love including mine. The recipe below is an example of the latter and one of my husband's original recipes that my kids (even my 2-yr old son) enjoyed. I hope the recipe below will help parents make their kids eat healthy food. It is also important to talk to our kids and share with them the benefits of what they are eating. Please follow the instructions below and make sure to read through the tips I included in this article before starting to cook. Also, this will only take less than 20 minutes to prepare so you don't have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
- 1/4 kilo potato balls, whole
- broccoli, cut in small pieces
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 1 bulb garlic, minced
- 1 pack cream of mushroom, powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, grind until fine
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vegetable or corn oil
- Chop onion to thin slices. Mince garlic to small pieces.
- Boil whole potato balls for 3 - 5 minutes. Make sure that the potatoes are not too soft to prevent being mushy. Cut potato balls into half or 3-parts. Do not remove skin. Set aside.
- Cut broccoli into small pieces or as big as the potato balls.
- Dissolve the powdered cream of mushroom in a small bowl of water.
- Saute garlic and onion using vegetable or corn oil, and then add the pre-boiled potato balls.
- Pour cream of mushroom mixture and add broccoli. Let it simmer for 4 to 5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Add salt to taste and fine black pepper. Serve.
We used potato balls to attract kids instead of the usual potatoes. Also, it is better not to peel the skin because of the nutrition your kids can get from it. Potato skin is rich in fiber, has the same nutrient content as the potato flesh, and also helps preserve the nutrients in the potato flesh when cooked. That is why we boil it while it is whole. Nutrients that can be found in potatoes (flesh and skin) are Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Potassium, Protein, Zinc, and Copper.
Broccoli on the other hand is one nutritious vegetable. It contains fiber, Vitamin C, and has anti-cancer properties. This vegetable can also prevent heart disease and contains beta carotene.
You can also add milk to cream of mushroom instead of water. That will make your mixture creamier and tastier. You can add fresh mushroom as an extender. When choosing powdered or canned cream of mushroom, pick non-fat. Cream of mushroom contains protein and carbohydrates.
More by this Author
Visiting the Philippines, particularly Metro Manila? Try going to Las Pinas and find out what the greenest and cleanest city in Metro Manila could offer.
This hub outlines 10 of the most popular things that people are interested in collecting. Read through and you might find your collection in the list.
Get rid of acute stiff neck by following 5 easy steps. These steps will help ease the pain and stiffness. If pain persists, immediate medical attention is recommended.
No comments yet.