Vietnamese Banana And Tapioca Pearl Pudding/Sweet Soup (Che Chuoi)
Sweet banana with chewy tapioca pearls swim in creamy coconut milk, Che Chuoi is classic sweet soup or pudding from Vietnam. This banana pudding is favorite dessert or snack throughout Vietnam. It can be served as cold dessert during hot summer days or warm one during cold or rainy days.
Basically Che Chuoi is pudding made of ripe banana, tapioca pearl, coconut milk and or roasted peanut. Any kind of ripe banana can be used but preferably firm one. If you are not able to get good banana then ripe plaintain is a good substitute. For the best flavor, use only fresh coconut milk or the best brand of coconut milk in the can.
Here is how to make traditional banana and tapioca pearl pudding. It's easy, tasty and authentic. This dessert is also great for any occasion such as picnic or potluck party.
Serves 4 - 6
2 - 3 bananas (ripe but firm)
4 tbsp small tapioca pearl
3 cups water
4 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup coconut milk
2 pandan leaves
roasted peanuts (garnish)
How to Fix
- Put tapioca pearl in a small bowl and soak for 10 minutes. Then drain.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Then add tapioca pearls. Stirring ocassionally to prevent them from sticking. Cook for about 5 - 10 minutes or until they are half clear.
- Peel the banana and slice it into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- When the tapioca is almost done, add coconut milk, pandanud leaves, salt and sugar. When the mixture is boiling, add the bananas. Then lower the heat to simmer. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the banana is soft and fragrant.
- Remove from the heat. Taste and adjust the sugar or salt if it is needed. Serve it warm or cold. Garnish with roasted peanuts.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Low-Fat Vietnamese Braised Fish In Caramel Sauce Recipe (Ca Kho To)
- Vietnamese Baked Cassava Cake Recipe (Banh Khoai Mi)
- Vietnamese Spicy Cabbage And Chicken Salad (Goi Bap Cai Ga)
- Taro Pudding (Che Khoai Mon) Recipe
- Vietnamese Hue Spicy Beef Noodle Soup (Bun Bo Hue)
- Vietnamese Pork Steamed Bun Recipe (Banh Bao)
Che Chuoi (Vietnamese Banana and Tapioca Pearl Sweet Soup)
More by this Author
How to prepare Vietnamese chicken noodle (pho ga) at home. It's not as difficult as you think.
Vietnamese Crispy Noodles with Chicken and Shrimp Stir-Fried - Mi Xao Don Thap Cam This is Vietnamese interpretation of Chinese panfried noodles or crispy chow mein. Mi Xao Don Thap Cam is crispy panfried egg noodles...
Chinese Turnip/Radish Cake (Low Bok Gow) Flickr by Jason Lam This is another popular dim sum dish. Turnip cake aka radish cake or sometime known as Chinese carrot cake is snack made of shredded daikon radish, dried...