Vietnamese Banana Blossom Salad Recipe (Nom Hoa Chuoi)
I am pretty sure you haven't heard or tried banana blossom salad before. It's a kind of rustic and exotic salad from Asian countries especially South and Southeast Asia. It made of banana blossom, also known as banana flower or banana heart either cooked or raw, meat, herbs and vegetables with lime juice.
What is banana blossom exactly ?. Banana blossom is the flower of the banana plant. The taste and flavor are redolent of artichokes heart. It is rich in Vitamin E, dietary fiber and unsaturated fatty acid, also possess some medicinal properties.
One of the popular cold banana blossom salad is Nom Hoa Chuoi, salad from Vietnam. It's wild in appearance, juicy and crunchy in texture, and earthy in flavors.
Banana blossoms are available in Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese and or Indian supermarket. Choose one that solid and firm. Select smaller size since it has less astringency in the petal (bracts).
What You Need
1 banana blossom (about 1 lbs)
8 oz bean sprouts
1/2 cup cooked pork, matchstick
1/3 cup roasted peanut, chopped
3 tbsp white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
2 tsp sugar
2 1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp dried shrimp
4 tbsp rau ram (Vietnamese coriander), chopped
5 tbsp lime juice
How to Fix
- Prepare a large bowl of cold water. Then add vinegar into the water. Set aside.
- Remove and discard any dried and tough outer layer or bracts from the banana blossom. Use a very sharp knife to discard stem at the bottom. Cut the banana blossom into very thinly slices or fine julienne. You can use either mandoline or food processor. Put the sliced blossom into acidulated water for 15 - 30 minutes.
- Wash and rinse the blossom under cold running water. Drain.
- Blanch the bean sprouts in boiling water for 30 minutes and drain.
- Soak the dried shrimp in hot water for 5 to 10 minutes. Then drain and chop finely.
- Use a mortar and pestle to crush sesame seeds, sugar and salt. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Then add banana blossom, bean sprouts, pork, dried shrimp, peanuts and rau ram. Toss all the ingredients well to combine. Then add lime juice. Toss well and adjust the taste if needed salt, sugar or lime juice. Transfer to serving platter.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Vietnamese Vegetarian Curry Recipe (Ca Ri Chay)
- Vietnamese Tomato Egg Drop Recipe (Canh Ca Chua Trung)
- Vietnamese Sticky Rice With Mung Beans And Hominy Recipe (Xoi Bap)
- Low-Fat Vietnamese Braised Fish In Caramel Sauce Recipe (Ca Kho To)
- Vietnamese Baked Cassava Cake Recipe (Banh Khoai Mi)
- Vietnamese Pork Steamed Bun Recipe (Banh Bao)
- Grilled Banana With Sticky Rice Recipe (Chuoi Nuong)
Banana Blossom/Flower Salad - Nom Hoa Chuoi
More by this Author
Vietnamese Crispy Noodles with Chicken and Shrimp Stir-Fried - Mi Xao Don Thap Cam This is Vietnamese interpretation of Chinese panfried noodles or crispy chow mein. Mi Xao Don Thap Cam is crispy panfried egg noodles...
How to make Vietnamese beef stew (bo kho) at home. A hearty beef dish.
Steamed meatball is pretty common dim sum food. It can be made of beef, chicken, fish, shrimp or squid. My kid's favorite is steamed pork balls. They are soft, wonderful and flavorful. Fixing steamed meatballs at home...
No comments yet.