Vietnamese Corn Pudding/Sweet Soup (Che Bap) Recipe
Sweet corn, glutinous rice and chewy tapioca pearls, flavored with pandanus leaves and enrobed in coconut milk. Che bap is a variant of Vietnamese dessert, che or sweet soups. Che can be made of fruits, seeds, rice, vegetables, roots, or beans with sugar. It can be thick and creamy like pudding, or light and cool.
Che bap can be served either warm or cold. This mouthwatering sweet soup is usually served in small bowls. This corn pudding is best palate refresher for hot or cold weather. It make a great snack too.
Tapioca pearl is chewy ball made of tapioca and usually comes in Asian desserts such as bubble tea or fruit drinks. It is widely available in Asian stores. Pandanus leaf is available in the frozen food section of oriental stores or in canned. The rest ingredients are very easy too find.
What You Need
Serves 4 - 6
1 1/2 cups of corn kernels
1/2 cup glutinous rice
1/4 cup tapioca pearls
2 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup salt
2 pandanus leaves
How to Fix
- Place glutinous rice in a bowl, cover with water and soak for overnight.
- Put tapioca pearl in a small bowl and soak for 5 minutes. Then drain.
- In a medium saucepan, put rice, pandanus leaves and water and bring to a boil. Cook on medium-low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add corn into the rice. Continue to cook for 15 minutes or until the mixture turns into a soft pudding.
- Pour coconut milk and tapioca pearl in. Simmer for 10 minutes. Then add sugar and salt. Continue to simmer for 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Serve the pudding warm or cold. Place the pudding into small bowls and top with 3 tablespoon of coconut sauce.
Coconut Sauce Recipe
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp water
1 tsp cornstarch
Combine water and one teaspoon cornstarch.
In a small saucepan, heat coconut milk and salt over medium heat. When it boils, stir in cornstarch mixture. Stir sauce vigorously until it thickens. Remove from the heat and set it cool.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Vietnamese Grilled Pork with Rice Noodles Recipe (Bun Cha)
How to make Vietnamese style BBQ pork with bun (vermicelli noodle)
- Vietnamese Meatballs (Xiu Mai) Recipe
How to make Vietnamese style meatballs.
- Vietnamese Shrimp Fried Rice (Com Chien Tom) Recipe
How to make tasty shrimp fried rice.
- Easy and Quick Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe (Pho Ga)
How to prepare Vietnamese chicken noodle (pho ga) at home. It's not as difficult as you think.
- Easy and Healthy Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls Recipe (Goi Cuan)
How to prepare traditional Vietnamese fresh roll. A tasty appetizer.
- Vietnamese Glutinous Rice and Black-Eyed Pudding (Che Dau) Recipe
How to make Vietnamese sweet soup (dessert).
Che Bap - Vietnamese Corn and Glutinous Rice Pudding
More by this Author
How to make Vietnamese beef stew (bo kho) at home. A hearty beef dish.
Vietnamese Crispy Noodles with Chicken and Shrimp Stir-Fried - Mi Xao Don Thap Cam This is Vietnamese interpretation of Chinese panfried noodles or crispy chow mein. Mi Xao Don Thap Cam is crispy panfried egg noodles...
Chow Hor Fun (Malaysian chicken chow fun) Flickr by AVLXYZ Chicken chow fun or known as char ho fun/sar hor fun is Malaysian comfort food. It's a dish of ho fun (sar hor fun/hor fun) topped with starchy and gluey sauce...
No comments yet.