Vietnamese Sticky Rice and Black-Eyed Pudding (Che Dau) Recipe
Rice is essential at every Asian dinner table. Every Asian meal consists mainly of rice accompanied with savory dishes of meat or sea foods, vegetables and some soups or salads. I am sure you all familiar with rice especially if you like oriental foods. Most common rice dish in Chinese, Thai or other Asian restaurants is fried rice. But have you ever tried rice as desserts ?. One of famous dessert made from rice is Thai sticky rice and mango. But on this page, I would like to introduce something new than sticky rice and mango. This dessert is sweet soup (che) from Vietnam and made of glutinous rice and black-eyed beans.
Che dau usually serve as warm dessert during cold rainy season or cold dessert during hot summer day. This hearty dessert is easy to make and very delicious, also gluten and dairy free. You just need few basic ingredients: black-eyed beans, glutinous rice, coconut milk, salt and sugar to taste this simple yet sweet and milky dessert. Sprinkle with some roasted peanut to balance the texture. Bon appetit.
What You Need for Fixing Che Dau
5 cups water
1/2 cup dried black -eyed bean
1/2 cup glutinous rice
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp salt
crushed roasted peanut for garnish
coconut sauce (see recipe bellow)
How to Fix Che Dau
- Rinse beans and soak it in plenty of water overnight. Alternatively you can use unsalted canned beans to make cooking process faster.
- Place black-eyed beans in a a small saucepan and cover with 2 cups water. Bring it to boil over medium-high heat and when it boils, reduce heat to medium-low. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes to soften the beans. If you are using canned bean, skip this step since your beans is cooked and soft.
- In another saucepan, place glutinous rice and 2 cups water. Bring it to boil over medium heat. When it boils, reduce the heat into medium low and simmer it for about 30 minutes to cook rinse until it's soft. It should be soupy, thick and soft, yet the consistency to be like porridge.
- Add black-eyed beans, coconut milk, sugar and salt into the rice pudding. Stir in to mix it well and adjust the taste. Add more sugar if you like it sweeter. Salt is needed to bring out the savory of coconut milk. Remove from the heat. Serve it with some coconut sauce and sprinkle it with roasted peanut. Enjoy.
Coconut Sauce Recipe
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp water
1 tsp cornstarch
Combine water and one teaspoon cornstarch.
In a small saucepan, heat coconut milk and salt over medium heat. When it boils, stir in cornstarch mixture. Stir sauce vigorously until it thickens. Remove from the heat and set it cool.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Beef Satay Recipe (Thit Bo Nuong Xa)
Satay or sate is always on the menu of Thai or other Southeast Asian restaurants. Basically this dish is marinated meat on the skewer and grilled over charcoal flame. There are a lot variants of satay...
- Easy and Healthy Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls Recipe (Goi Cuan)
Goi cuan is fresh, light and healthy appetizer from Vietnam which is basically Vietnamese salad (goi) wrapped in rice paper. Sometime it is listed on the menus as summer rolls, salad rolls or garden rolls....
- Vietnamese Beef Carpaccio Recipe (Bo Tai Chanh)
Bo tai chanh is Vietnamese style of carpaccio. There are some variants on how to prepare this appetizer. Some people use lime juice or lemon juice, pineapple juice and cook the beef lightly in pineapple juice....
- Easy and Healthy Vietnamese Papaya Salad Recipe (Goi Du Du)
Goi Du Du In Southeast Asia, papaya is available all year around. Ripe papaya fruit is commonly served raw as dessert or snack, whilst unripened green papayas are preferred for cooking. It may be added to...
More by this Author
- 3Indonesian Es Puter Kelapa - Traditional Coconut Ice Cream Recipe. How to Make Dairy Free Indonesian Style Ice Cream!
Easy and dairy free ice cream recipe
Banh Khoai Mi (Vietnamese Baked Cassava Cake) Flickr by AVLXYZ Banh Khoai Mi is sumptuous cake from Vietnam. It is sweet, soft and chewy, and redolent with the aroma of coconut. This is a traditional cake with no...
Craving for delicious fried chicken wings ?. Here is the most easy to fix Chinese style deep fried chicken wings. Every body will just love it and craving for more.
No comments yet.