Vietnamese Shaking Beef Steak (Bo Luc Lac) Recipe
This is another marvelous dish for busy days. Easy and quick steak. Great for feeding a hungry family !. Yet a great dish to overcome winter blues. Despite of snow and chilly weather, you still can enjoy flavorful steak without fire-up your grill.
Bo Luc Lac simply mean "shaking" beef or steak. This term refers to cooking process by shaking the wok or skillet to sear the beef pieces or cubes. Unlike steak in the West that come in a large piece of meat, Vietnamese or other Asian eat a smaller one, usually in cubes or slices. This method is applied to get a tender beef steak.
This steak is a kind of sauce-less or no sauce at all. The ingredients are pretty simple: beef, onion and pepper with some Asian seasoning. Usually serve with light dipping sauce consist of lime, black pepper and salt or some people prefer to add hot chili pepper. Enjoy it with a bunch of raw salad such as spinach or watercress and as always, serve it with warm steamed rice. Bo Luc Lac is easy, simple but tasty and very affordable.
Combination of onion, pepper and lime-salt-pepper sauce yield a unique steak. This steak is a truly Asian way to enjoy beef: beefy, salty, tangy, sour and hot !.
What You Need
Serves 2 - 4
1 1/2 lbs tender beef steak
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/3 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, coarsely chopped
How to Fix
- Trim the beef steak from any excess of fat. Then cut into 3/4-inch or 1-inch cubes. In a bowl, combine salt, pepper, sugar, oyster sauce and dark soy sauce. Then add steak cubes and toss them well to coat. Marinade this mixture for about 2 hours.
- Preheat a heavy wok or skillet over high heat. Coat the wok sides with cooking oil. When its hot, add garlic and onion. Stir-fry for about 1 minute or until fragrant and golden brown. Add the steak cubes and arrange them in a layer. Cook for about 1 minute to let it sear. Then shaking the wok occasionally to sear another side. Continue to cook about 30 seconds or until the steak is medium rare or is cooked according to your taste. Turn off the heat.
- In a small saucer, put salt, black pepper and lime wedges. For making lime-salt-pepper dipping sauce, combine lime juice, salt and black pepper. This dipping sauce is open to any adaptation. There is no such exact measurement but depend on the personal taste.
- Arrange the beef on the top of spinach and watercress. Serve hot or warm with steamed rice and lime-salt-pepper dipping sauce.
How to Make Bo Luc Lac (Shaking Beef)
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Vietnamese Meatballs (Xiu Mai) Recipe
- Vietnamese Chicken with Cellophane Noodle Soup Recipe (Mien Ga)
- Quick and Easy Vietnamese Carrot and Daikon Pickle Recipe (Do Chua)
- Vietnamese Baked Hoisin Glazed Chicken Wing Recipe (Canh Ga Nuong Tuong)
- Vietnamese Asparagus Crab Soup Recipe (Sup Mang Tay Cua). How to Make Asian Asparagus Crab Soup !
- Vietnamese Grilled Lime Chicken (Ga Nuong Chanh) Recipe. How To Make Grilled Chicken On Skewers!
- How to Make Easy and Spicy Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken (Ga Xao Xa Ot)
- How To Make Vienamese Stuffed Tofu (Dau Hu Don Thit)
- Easy Vietnamese Crab Rice Noodle Soup Recipe (Bun Rieu Cua)
More by this Author
How to prepare Vietnamese chicken noodle (pho ga) at home. It's not as difficult as you think.
How to make Vietnamese beef stew (bo kho) at home. A hearty beef dish.
Learn how to make Vietnamese congee.