Vietnamese Sticky Rice With Mung Beans And Hominy Recipe (Xoi Bap)
Savory sticky rice, hominy, and buttery mung beans topped with sweet tosted sesame and crispy fried shallots. Xoi bap is another variants of Xoi. It can be eaten at breakfast, lunch or snack between meals. This Xoi is unique. It has both element of xoi got (sweet xoi) and xoi man (savory xoi). This sticky rice dish is best served with BBQ pork (Thit Xa Xiu), sausage (Cha lua) or grilled chicken. It can be a stand alone, a perfect vegetarian treat.
Here is how to make Xoi Bap. It's very simple and easy to make since this recipe is using canned hominy, precooked dried corn. Split and hulled mung beans is available for purchase at oriental store. If you want a little extra sweetness, sprinkle more sugar on your Xoi Bap.
What You Need
Serves 4 - 6
1 1/2 cup glutinous rice
1 can (29 oz) white hominy, drained
1/2 cup split and dehulled mung beans
1/2 tsp salt
sugar to taste
2 - 3 tbsp fried shallots
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
How to Fix
- Put the glutinous rice in a bowl and add water to cover. Soak at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Soak the mung beans in warm water for 2 hours or overnight. Then drain.
- Wash and rinse the rice under cold running water and drain. Put the rice in a mixing bowl then add the hominy. Combine the rice and hominy with salt.
- Bring a steamer to a boil. Line the steamer tray with parchment paper or muslin cloth. Pour the rice and hominy into the tray and steam about 15 minutes or until the rice is translucent and soft. When the rice is done, transfer to a serving plate.
- Steam the mung beans for about 15 minutes or until it is soft. Transfer to a bowl and use a spoon to crush lightly.
- Combine 2 tablespoon of sugar with sesame seeds. Set aside.
- To serve, put a layer of rice and hominy in a small platter or bowl. Then add some steamed mung beans on top of it, follow with sesame seeds mixture and fried shallots.
- Vietnamese Tomato Egg Drop Recipe (Canh Ca Chua Trung)
- Vietnamese Grilled Lime Chicken (Ga Nuong Chanh) Recipe. How To Make Grilled Chicken On Skewers!
How to make exotic fragrant grilled chicken.
- Vietnamese Beef Rice Noodle Soup (Pho Bo) Recipe
- Vietnamese Stuffed Squid Recipe (Muc Nhoi Thit) Recipe
- Low-Fat Vietnamese Braised Fish In Caramel Sauce Recipe (Ca Kho To)
Xoi Bap - in Vietnamese
More by this Author
Learn how to stir-fry spinach. Easy, tasty and healthy vegetarian dish.
Vegetable curry (Ca Ri Chay) Flickr by Pelican Here is a vegetarian curry with big flavors. This Vietnamese curry is made of eggplants, potatoes and tofu, flavored with lemon grass and spicy curry powder, enriched with...
Flickr by Endalicious Tender and juicy spareribs coated with savory Chinese black bean sauce. No Sunday brunch or morning dim sum is ever complete without tasty steamed spareribs. Of course Chinese bao, spring rolls,...