Vietnamese Tomato Egg Drop Soup Recipe (Canh Ca Chua Trung)
Pork and silky strands of egg swim in rich tomato and onion flavored broth. This is one of the quickest and easiest soup one can make. This is a hearty soup. Creamy, rich, tangy and colorful. Its delicious and beautiful too.
If fresh tomatoes are not available, then substitute it with canned tomatoes. It's important to add the eggs at the end of cooking process or just before serving, to produce a smooth, delicate and silky strands.
What You Need
Serves 4 - 6
1 lbs ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
6 oz ground pork
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp fish sauce
6 cups water
2 eggs, lightly beaten
5 cilantro, chopped
ground black pepper
How to Fix
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and onion. Cook for 4 -5 minutes or until soft, translucent and fragrant.
- Add in tomatoes and salt. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until the tomatoes have turned into a thick mixture. Lower the heat to prevent the tomatoes from sticking.
- Add the ground pork and fish sauce in. Use a spatula to break the pork into small pieces. Then add water and bring to a boil in high heat. Skim and discard any floating foam and scum.
- Lower the heat. Continue to cook and simmer for about 15 minutes or the broth is fragrant and rich. Turn off the heat.
- Before serving, reheat the soup. If necessary, add extra salt. Turn off the heat and pour the lightly beaten egg onto the soup. Stir gently to break it up into smaller pieces.
- Serve the soup in a bowl. Garnish with chopped cilantro and ground black pepper.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Easy and Tasty Vietnamese Chicken Salad Recipe (Goi Ga)
How to make low fat Vietnamese Chicken salad (goi ga)
- Vietnamese Stuffed Tomatoes (Ca Chua Nhoi Thit) Recipe
How to make Vietnamese style baked stuffed tomatoes.
- Vietnamese Asparagus Crab Soup Recipe (Sup Mang Tay Cua). How to Make Asian Asparagus Crab Soup !
A low fat crab soup recipe.
- Vietnamese Vegetarian Curry Recipe (Ca Ri Chay)
- Vietnamese Sweet Rice Dumplings In Ginger Syrup (Che Xoi Nuoc) Recipe
More by this Author
Perkedel Kentang (Indonesian potato cakes/frikadellen) Perkedel kentang (frikadel) is Indonesian adaptation of frikadellen, Ducth meat patties. Unlike Dutch frikadellen, perkedel kentang is made of mashed potatoes...
Steamed meatball is pretty common dim sum food. It can be made of beef, chicken, fish, shrimp or squid. My kid's favorite is steamed pork balls. They are soft, wonderful and flavorful. Fixing steamed meatballs at home...
Baked BBQ Pork Bun Jason Lam If you are familiar with dim sum, you may know how delicious Chinese pork buns are. Pork buns can be steamed or baked. Char siu bao is steamed bun with bbq pork filling. The baked version...