Vietnamese Vegetarian Curry Recipe (Ca Ri Chay)
Here is a vegetarian curry with big flavors. This Vietnamese curry is made of eggplants, potatoes and tofu, flavored with lemon grass and spicy curry powder, enriched with coconut milk. This is a really hearty vegetable stew.
For the best flavor, always use Vietnamese style curry powder. Vietnamese curry powder is widely at Asian market or online. If you prefer spicier curry, add more hot chili pepper. This recipe is open to any adjustment. If you prefer a lighter curry, you can dilute the coconut milk with more water. If the sauce is too watery, add a piece or two pieces of cooked potato and mash it then return back into the pot. Also you can add various vegetables to this curry dish.
What You Need
Serves 4 - 6
1 pack fried tofu ( 8 pcs)
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 potatoes, peeld and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 cup water
3 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp salt
3/4 tbsp sugar
2 lemongrass, finely chopped
2 red chili pepper
2 tbsp cooking oil
How to Fix
- Heat a wok over high heat. When hot, add cooking oil, lemongrass, and red chili pepper. Cook until the aromatics are fragrant.
- Add the fried tofu, onion, eggplant, salt, sugar, curry powder in. Stir-fry about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and water. Then add sweet potato, and white potatoes. Cook in low heat or simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Ca ri chay is usually best served with warm steamed rice or French bread.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Vietnamese Baked Hoisin Glazed Chicken Wing Recipe (Canh Ga Nuong Tuong)
Learn how to make Asian Chicken wing.
- Quick and Easy Vietnamese Carrot and Daikon Pickle Recipe (Do Chua)
How to make Vietnamese pickle.
- Vietnamese Asparagus Crab Soup Recipe (Sup Mang Tay Cua). How to Make Asian Asparagus Crab Soup !
A low fat crab soup recipe.
- Vietnamese Grilled Lime Chicken (Ga Nuong Chanh) Recipe. How To Make Grilled Chicken On Skewers!
How to make exotic fragrant grilled chicken.
- Vietnamese Sweet Rice Dumplings In Ginger Syrup (Che Xoi Nuoc) Recipe
Ca Ri Chay - Vietnamese Vegetable Curry (in Vietnamese language)
More by this Author
Steamed meatball is pretty common dim sum food. It can be made of beef, chicken, fish, shrimp or squid. My kid's favorite is steamed pork balls. They are soft, wonderful and flavorful. Fixing steamed meatballs at home...
Learn how to stir-fry spinach. Easy, tasty and healthy vegetarian dish.
Baked BBQ Pork Bun Jason Lam If you are familiar with dim sum, you may know how delicious Chinese pork buns are. Pork buns can be steamed or baked. Char siu bao is steamed bun with bbq pork filling. The baked version...