Walnut Torte - Best Ukrainian Recipe
A typical Ukrainian home dinner begins with Zakuska (appetizers) such as zesty Sauerkraut Salad, tantalizing Pickled Mushrooms, Stuffed Eggs and assorted cold meats and sausage. A tasty borsch (soup) will precede a main course of meat, chicken, or fish. Dessert might consist of the delicious Ukrainian Honey Cake, or the indescribable Walnut Torte with Mocha Cream Frosting.
500 mL (2 cups) ground walnuts
125 mL (1/2 cup) all purpose flour
5 mL (1 teaspoon) instant coffee
6 eggs, separated
250 mL (1 cup) sugar, divided
5 mL (1 teaspoon) grated lemon rind
5 mL (1 teaspoon) vanilla
- Grease only the bottoms of two 22.5 cm (9 inch) layer cake
pans. Line the bottoms with wax paper and grease again.
- Mix nuts, flour and instant coffee together.
- In a deep bowl, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gradually add 125 mL (1/2 cup) of sugar, beating until the egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks for 1 minute. Add the remaining 125 nL (1/2 cup) sugar gradually beating another 4 minutes until it is thick and light coloured.
- Beat in lemon rind and vanilla. Gently stir the nut mixture into the egg yolks.
- Stir one-quarter beaten egg white into the egg-nut mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until just blended.
- Spoon into prepared pans. Bake in a 180 degree C (350 F) oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cenre comes out dry.
- Cool in pans for 20 minutes; remove from pans, peel off the paper and place upright on cake racks.
- Spread Mocha Cream Frosting between the layers, over the sides and top of torte. Layers can be halved to make a 4 layer torte.
Mocha Cream Filling:
4 egg yolks
625 mL (2 1/2 cups) icing sugar
200 mL (3/4 cup) butter
50 mL (1/4 cup) strong coffee
5 mL (1 teaspoon) vanilla
- In the top of a double boiler, blend egg yolks with 200 mL
(3/4 cup) of icing sugar. Cook over simmering water, stirring
constantly until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Cream butter and add the remaining icing sugar, gradually beating until smooth and creamy.
- Blend in the cooled egg yolk-sugar mixture, coffee and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
Makes one 22.5 cm (9 inch) cake
O.K - you're saying to yourself that you can buy this cake in
far less time than it takes to make it, but what's the fun of
that and do you have anything better to do on a cold, snowy
If you still have hydro, turn on the oven and get baking. You'll make a lot of people happy with this recipe.
More by this Author
I was trying to decide on what sort of hedge would look good and grow properly in our cold Canadian climate. I did plenty of research over the internet and came across the Peking Cotoneaster. This is an extremely hardy...
Thinking about opening a Doggy Daycare or Pet Resort? You'll be needing plenty of dog accessories. Click Here for Great Dog Products from Amazon.com Hello again and welcome to the Self - Employment Network....
Click Here for Baby Furniture on Sale If you are looking for advice on where to place a wood stove in your house, I have a story I want you to read first. A wood stove is a wonderful feature to add in your home,...