We'll Fry Anything! A Look at Texas State Fair Food
Each year, the State Fair of Texas holds a contest for deep-fried concoctions to be served at the State Fair. The 2012 State Fair of Texas will be held from September 28, 2012 through October 21, 2012.
One Big Tex Choice Award is presented for "Most Creative" and one is awarded for "Best Taste". The 2012 winners are: Fried Bacon Cinnamon Roll for Most Creative and Deep Fried Jambalaya for the Best Taste. 2011 winners were: Most Creative: Fried Bubblegum and for Best Taste: Buffalo Chicken in a Flapjack. 2010 Winners were: Most Creative: Fried Beer and Best Taste Texas Fried Fritos Pie.
The 2009's "Most Creative" winner was Abel Gonzales for his Deep Fried Butter. Pats of seasoned real whipped butter are battered and deep fried. Abel is a now a four-time winner of the coveted annual Big Tex Choice Awards. His previous winning concoctions are Deep Fried Peanut Butter Jelly and Banana Sandwich (2005 Best Taste Award), Fried Coke (2006 Most Creative Award) and Texas Fried Cookie Dough (2007 Best Taste).
Most Creative Winners
- 2005 Fried Ice Cream
- 2006 Fried Coke
- 2007 Deep Fried Latte
- 2008 Fried Banana Split
- 2009 Deep Fried Butter
- 2010 Fried Beer(TM)
- 2011 Fried Bubblegum
Best Taste Winners
2005 Fried PB, Jelly and Banana Sandwich
2006 Fried Praline Perfection
2007 Texas Fried Cookie Dough
2008 Chicken Fried Bacon
2009 Fernie's Deep Fried Peaches & Cream
- 2010 Texas Fried Fritos(TM) Pie
- 2011 Buffalo Chicken in a Flapjack
Foods to Try at the 2012 State Fair of Texas
- Cup of Trash-A mixture of beans, hamburger meat and rice that can be topped with onions, cheese, and tomatoes. This cup of goodness is served with saltine crackers.
- Chicken Fried Cactus Bites – Thinly sliced prickly pear that is battered and deep fried. Served with a jalapeno ranch and agave nectar dipping sauce.
- Fried Cotton Candy- Where cotton candy meets funnel cake. Pink cotton candy that is battered in funnel cake mix. It is then quick-fried on a skewer of 3 and then sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Deep-Fried Divine Chocolate Tres Leches Cake - A slice of chocolate cake soaked in buttermilk batter and fried. Then sprinkled with cinnamon, topped with whipped cream, fresh strawberry slices and peaches are drizzled with syrup.
- Picnic on a Stick - Spicy fried chicken, tater tots and slices of dill pickle alternating on a skewer, then dipped in batter, rolled in bread crumbs, and fried. You have a choice of BBQ sauce, ranch, or honey mustard.
- Fried Cow Patty- Fried chocolate batter the size of a plate that has a dollop of chocolate pudding topped with a chocolate mousse whipped cream.
- Fried Mexican Fire Crackers - Spicy chicken, cheese and jalapeno mix wrapped in dough and deep fried. Served with fiery hot sauce.
- El Dogito on a Stick- Spicy smoky sausage smothered with cheese and jalapeno slices. It’s wrapped in a flour tortilla and deep fried. Served with mild or hot salsa.
- West Texas Fried Apple Pie- Apple filling covered in wheat bread and covered with brown sugar and cinnamon, then fried.
- Fried Pork Wing - Slow-cooked for six hours then deep fried, rolled and tossed in a smoked bacon chipotle glaze. Served with homemade potato chips dusted in barbecue seasoning.
- Fried Bacon Cinnamon Roll - A cinnamon roll dipped in a sweet pancake batter, rolled in crispy fried bacon crumbles, deep fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Deep Fried Baked Potato-Crisp fried French fries wrapped in foil that you split open and fill with butter, cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives, and bacon bits. Slow smoked chopped beef and homemade BBQ sauce can be added.
- Potato Twist-A potato consisting of onion, bacon bits, and bell pepper. It is then covered inCajun breading and deep fried. Two choices of dipping sauce: spicy red or cream white.
- Fried Sugar Cubes-Sugar cubes dipped in either chocolate, vanilla, choc/vanilla batter, then deep-fried. Drizzled with chocolate, caramel or fruit sauces.
- Deep Fried Mac-N-Cheese Slider – A 3-cheese mac that is baked, battered in bread crumbs and then deep-fried. Placed on a slider bun with a griddled beef patty.
- Deep Fried Jambalaya - Jambalaya made with shrimp, cajun sausage and seasonings is coated in seasoned flour and fried. It is then served with a spicy ranch sauce.
- Fried Kitty-Kat-A Kit Kat bar dipped in batter, fried, and drizzled with chocolate sauce.
- Chocolate Candy-Coated Bacon-Fried bacon dipped in chocolate and rolled in candy sprinkles.
- Pulled Pork Sliders-Smoked pulled pork served on a slider bun and topped with white BBQ sauce.
- Deep Fried Red Velvet Cupcake-A red velvet cupcake filled with cream cheese frosting that is deep fried and topped with additional frosting. A fried bonelss chicken wing is placed on the cupcake for a sweet and salty combo.
- Shrimp Quesadillas-A fresh tortilla grilled with cilantro, shrimp, spices, onion, tomatoes, and mushrooms. It is then topped with two-cheeses and another tortilla.
- Deep Fried Chicken and Waffle- A boneless chicken breast dipped in waffle batter and deep fried dusted with powdered sugar and served on a stick with warm syrup and butter.
- Big Tex and the State Fair of Texas by KCC Big Country
The State Fair of Texas is annual event in Texas that runs for 24 days beginning the last Friday in September. This year's fair will be running from September 25, 2009 through October 18, 2009 at the 277...
Official site of the State Fair of Texas.
More by this Author
San Antonio, Texas has some great haunted hotels. See what guests at the haunted Emily Morgan Hotel in San Antonio have to say about their visit!
Several years ago, we had some friends who were Yankees (and they were pretty darn proud of that fact). He was from northern Maine and she was from New Hampshire. You really don't get much more Yankee than that. This...
A fascinating look at Beatrice Wood, the woman James Cameron modeled Rose Dewitt Bukater Calvert after in the movie "Titanic".