What kind of food is Yogurt?
Delicious frozen yogurt
5 Steps to Make Home-made YugurtClick thumbnail to view full-size
The word YOGURT caught my fancy
LATELY I was in Manila and while eating together with some members of my family in the dining hall of the plushy Mall of Asia- I happened to glance at one of the food counters with a big letter YOGURT. i have already come across the word several times but have a very hazy idea what it means. I knew yogurt was a kind of food as gleaned from its context. But how it looks, its shape and texture, how it taste was beyond my understanding. So, outright I asked my daughter-in-law who was seated next to me to explain what yogurt is. She obliged as requested but she couldn't quench my thirst. Deep inside me- I resolve that when I have the time I would consult the internet if only to have a deeper understanding of what yogurt really is.
The meaning of Yogurt
The opportunity knocks so I typed the phrase "What is Yogurt?" in the keyboard. The monitor offered me several answers. I picked one that suits my taste. It says, " yogurt- also spelled yoghurt or yoghourt- is a favorite breakfast, lunch or snack food found in the dairy aisle of a grocery. A thick custard or pudding-like food- yogurt is made from the natural fermentation of milk" Yogurt possibly originates in the middle east- Turkey or Iran- about 10,000 BC
Elaine Magee, MPH, RD in MedicineNet.com stressed the following health benefits from eating yogurt:
- Yogurt with active culture or beneficial living microbes may help the gut.
- Some probiotic strains may boost the immune system.
- Yogurt with active cultures may discourage vaginal infections.
- Yogurt may help prevent osteoporosis
- Yogurt may reduce the risk of high blood pressure.
- Yogurt may help you feel fuller.
10 Things to Consider When Buying or Eating Yogurt.
The same source cited above enumerated 10 things to consider when buying or eating yogurt. They are:
- Decide between whole milk, low fat or non-fat yogurt.
- Choose your sweeteners.
- Look for active cultures and probiotics.
- Team yogurt with flax seed.
- Look for vitamin D.
- Make yogurt part of the perfect snack.
- Whip up a creamier smoothie with yogurt.
- Customize your yogurt.
- Eat yogurt at work.
- Use yogurt in recipes.
Tips in buying yogurt
When buying yogurt- always check the label for live culture. If the yogurt has been pasteurized or heated after the cultures have been added- the cultures may have died. Properly made yogurt may keep well at the refrigerator at 40 degrees Fahrenheit- 4 degrees celsius for up to 10 days. After this period of time- the cultures become weak.
Yogurt of today and yesterday- how made?
In the olden days- yogurt most likely consisted of goat's milk fermented in goatskin bag carried by early nomadic people of Turkish origin. Today- yogurt is primarily made from cow's milk in the United States. In other parts of the world- it is made with the milk of goats, sheeps, buffalos and even camels.
How to make yogurt at home
Home-made yogurt is done this way.
- Simply boil milk and lower its temperature to 112 degrees Fahrenheit (45 degrees C) and then
- Add a spoonful of store-bought yogurt to a small amount of the milk.
- Stir it well and then add the rest of the warm milk.
- Keep the whole batch in a warm place for several hours to allow the yogurt to set.
- When the yogurt is ready- refrigerate immediately.
- To add variety and make the taste more enjoyable- add fresh fruit, jam, granola, honey as well as others that strikes your fancy.
You may share this articles to friends, facebook or any social media. Thank you.
I pretty well knew that countless number of people are still in the dark as to what kind of food yogurt really is. For those of you who have ready access to computer and internet- please don't waste this opportunity. Read and digest the contents of this hub and so with other articles of same nature. Then pass on the knowledge to unfortunate souls who have no means to read or access this vital information. Then I can be happy with the thought that this simple research of mine did not go to waste.
THIS hub is about yogurt. What do you think of this hub? Please say it below by clicking the appropriate buttons. Or you may type your comments or suggestions yonder below. Thank you. The author.
More by this Author
Apl De Ap is a Filipino who broke the limelight together with the Black-eyed Peas through hip-hop and break dancing. They've produced top records.
Hub details the harmful effects of slash-and-burn farming and to administer emergency treatment to persons in distress.
Basic information about pinworms, hookworms, threadworms and tapeworms. How to avoid them. Medicine for treatment.
No comments yet.