What to Make with a Yellow Cake Mix: Berry Upside Down Cake
Berry Upside Down Cake
A 'Berry' good cake recipe
Summertime is not the only time you can enjoy the sweet taste of berries. In this recipe, the use of frozen berries works just as well as fresh and can be enjoyed year round. Wondering what berry is best to use-whatever berry you happen to have on hand. In my version I used a combination of blackberries and raspberries. For other great berry recipes follow the link that is included here.
This is not a 'by-scratch' cake. A basic yellow cake mix is the foundation, but you can experiment with other flavors such as a white or a butter flavored cake mix. I substitute a plain applesauce in place of the vegetable oil called for in the cake mix.
Since the berry is the main focus there is no need to worry about adding a frosting. A light dusting of confectioner's sugar is a nice touch to finish it off. Another option is to skip the sugar on top and serve with cool whip or other whipped cream topping. Both ways taste delicious.
The baking time will vary depending on the size of pan you use.
- 1 yellow cake mix, other flavors: white; butter
- 1/3 C plain Applesauce, to replace Vegetable oil in cake batter
- 3 C Berries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries or a combination
- 1-2 T confectioners sugar, to sprinkle on top while warm
- 2 eggs, according to cake mix directions
Rate the Berry Upside Down Cake Recipe
How to make a Berry Upside Down Cake
- Rinse and drain berries and place in bottom of prepared cake pan. Use two round or square cake pans.
- Mix yellow cake mix according to package directions substituting applesauce for vegetable oil if desired. Pour half of the mix into each pan over the berries. Bake according to package directions
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes and then turn upside down on serving plate. Dust lightly with confectioners sugar. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Other Cake recipes using fruit
- How to Make Banana Cake
- Cooking With Kids: Raspberry Upside Down Cake Recipe
Looking for a great way to use all of those raspberries that you just picked? Here is a delicious recipe for a raspberry upside down cake, perfect for a summer afternoon.
More by this Author
Have you ever experienced 'fondue'? If not, the Melting Pot Restaurant is a great place to hold a special celebration. The food is tasty and the dining experience is unique and fun.
Graham crackers are a versatile food-satisfying, a quick snack, and easy to keep. Here are 7 ways to use graham crackers for a sweet treat or holiday decoration.
If you're in a hurry to go out and don't have time to wash clothes, follow these proven tips to make dirty clothes smell clean (and fool those standing near you!).