White Bean Spread Recipe
a basic spread
We do not eat bread that often anymore but now and then we buy a French loaf or some petites pains to enjoy as a pre-breakfast snack or something to enjoy mid-day or in the evening.
Bread alone can be rather dull and I use only a little butter and have given up peanut butter so am always on the lookout for a good spread; one that is healthy and tasty,
This one works;
White Bean Spread:
½ cup dried Great Northern Beans
2 cups homemade chicken broth ( see below)
1 garlic glove
2 tbsps freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp paprika
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
2 tbsps finely chopped parsley
Petite pans or French loaf
- Pick over beans and remove any foreign material
- Soak beans covered with water overnight
- or Boil in water for 2 minutes
- Simmer beans, covered in chicken broth for 1 hour or until soft
- If broth cooks off before beans are soft, add a small amount of hot broth
- Drain beans well and run through a food mill OR
- coarsely chop in blender or food processor
- Spoon into a bowl
- Stir in the garlic and lemon juice, seas salt and pepper
- Tatse to be sure you enjoy the seasoning
- Sprinkle with parsley
- Spread mixture over sliced French loaf or petite pans.
4 pounds chicken backs, wings and necks
4 quarts water
2 mediums onions
2 gloves garlic
2 large celery stalks, coarsely chopped
6 sprigs parsley
2 small bay leaves
¼ tsp dried thyme
8 balck pepper corns, slightly crushed
1 tsp sea salt.
- Place all ingredients in a large soup pot
- Cover pot bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, skimming any surface scum off as needed
- Remove cover and at a bare simmer, cook for 2 hours or until liquid is reduced by half
- Discard the vegetables, saving the chicken meat for soups
- Strain the soup into a large bowl
- Store in refrigerator overnight
- Carefully remove fat and discard it
- Spoon the clear, jellied broth into another bowl
- Discard the sediment remaining in the first bowl
Makes 2 quarts.
The chicken broth can be used in the white bean spread above or stews and soups. When you plan ahead you can make the broth on a slow afternoon and set it aside to aid your meal preparation on an evening when your dinner may be more rushed. A little pr-planning and pre-cooking can go a long way.
More by this Author
How did fish and chips become such a popular dish? Some credit Sir Walter Raleigh with introducing the potato into England; however, others dispute this claim.
Apple sauce is fairly easy to keep and very handy to have in the fridge. It goes great with oatmeal or pork and can be added to a smoothie or enjoyed all by itself.
From Spring to fall as we walk about town we pass by and fail to recognize the foods that are all around us. Even foods that we do not such as apples, pears and raspberries go unpicked because they sit on property that...
No comments yet.