White Cake Recipe With Strawberries
How would you rate this summer strawberry cake recipe?
I have to say that strawberries are one of my favorite fruits. I always get excited at the beginning of summer since this is when they are available in Michigan. My mom often took us berry picking as kids and I have continued that tradition with my own children. My kids always know that summer is here when we head out to the strawberry fields to pick. We make many recipes with our strawberries, from smoothies, to pie, muffins, and even freeze them for use in the future. But one of the most requested dishes with strawberries is my white cake with strawberries. It is light, refreshing, and easy to make.
Ingredients for Summer Strawberry Cake
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups pastry or cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2-2 cups halved strawberries, depending on the size
Directions for White Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat three egg whites until stiff and gradually add in 1/2 cup of sugar. Refer to the photo for what still egg whites should look like.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy and mix in 1/2 cup of sugar and vanilla.
- Sift pastry flour, baking powder, and salt. Then add the butter mixture alternating with 1/2 cup of milk until it is gone.
- Next, fold in the egg whites. Be sure not to overmix (fold)the egg whites. This will create a much denser cake and will not be light and fluffy. (My little helpers over folded and it was a little denser than I have had in the past!)
- Pour evenly in two greased 8 inch pans. Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Let cool completely before adding the strawberries and whipped cream frosting.
Photos for Making the CakeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Ingredients for Strawberry Whipped Cream Frosting
2 cups of heavy whipping cream
4 Tablespoons of Powdered Sugar
1/8 cup of strawberry juice (This can be made by simply crushing the strawberries and then straining the pieces of fruit out.)
Red or Pink food coloring if desired
Directions for Strawberry Whipped Cream Frosting
I love using this recipe for this cake because it keeps it light and refreshing. There's not a lot of sugar involved and it does sit heavily like some of the traditional frostings. I used to use a Cool Whip brand of strawberry whipped topping but have not been able to find it recently. So I used this recipe instead. It was very easy to make and was tasty too!
Pour the heaving whipping cream in a bowl and begin to mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar to the bowl and continue to blend. You will see the mixture begin to thicken. Slowly add in the strawberry juice. This will add a little flavor and a pink tint to the frosting. If you would like your frosting to be a little more pink, add some food coloring to brighten it up.
Pictures of Assembling the CakeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Assembling Your Two-Layer Strawberry Cake
When assembling your cake, be sure that it is completely cooled before adding the frosting or it will melt. First place one round cake on the serving plate and frost the top with the whipped cream frosting. Then layer half of the strawberries on top of the frosting.
Next, place the other cake on top of the strawberry layer. Frost the top of the second cake layer and the sides completely with the frosting. Arrange the remaining strawberries in a pattern on top of the cake. I like to keep it simple with just a ring around the edge and a little something in the center, but be creative! I hope that you and your guests enjoy this light and refreshing summer cake recipe.
More by this Author
Looking for a great macaroni and cheese recipe that is sure to please the kids? This one is fast, easy, delicious, and includes hidden vegetables!
Cooking for Easter can be fun and tasty. Getting your kids involved in cooking your Easter meal will make your holiday even more special. Here are some fun and easy recipes that you will enjoy making with your...
From math to science to learning to read, many animated tv shows enhance a child's learning. Here is a list of fantastic shows that will keep your child learning the entire time.