How to make wilted lettuce
Best salad ever
Old time favorite
Basic wilted lettuce
Country folk and avid gardeners love wilted lettuce. If that doesn't appeal to you, call it "mixed spring greens with warm bacon dressing." Served as an entrée, top with chopped hard cooked eggs.
I substitute homemade mixed herb vinegar for the traditional cider vinegar. If the vinegar is just too strong for you, dilute it with water. Or, try a white wine vinegar, or lemon juice.
Sometimes referred to a smothered lettuce or kilt lettuce (killed lettuce.)
This is important: Triple wash fresh-picked greens. Then, dry the lettuce before filling the salad bowl with torn lettuce pieces. Nothing ruins a salad quicker than biting down on gritty sand or soil.
After a long winter with meals devoid of fresh produce and greens, families were thrilled when the first green shoots popped up in spring. Those nutrient dense greens, once provided a much needed vitamin and mineral boost missing from the winter diet.
Even before spring lettuces were sown in the home garden, many wild greens were gathered. Today, what we believe are weeds, dandelion greens and poke for example, are a storehouse of nutrients.
Mixed greens are best
- 10 cups leaf lettuce, spinach, baby kale, torn in bite size pieces
- 6 radishes, any color, thinly sliced
- 4 whole green onions, sliced
- 6 bacon strips, cooked crisp and crumbled
- ¼ cup cider vinegar, or herb vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Springtime's best choices
Wilted lettuce recipe
- Toss lettuce, onions and radish in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels. Cut bacon into pieces. Set bacon pieces aside.
- Pour bacon drippings from pan and return 2 Tablespoons to skillet.
- Dissolve sugar into water, if using sugar. To remaining hot drippings, add the vinegar, water, salt, pepper. Cover salad bowl for 1 minute using a large plate.
- Toss salad lightly. Sprinkle bacon pieces over the wilted lettuce. Serve immediately.
- Makes two servings for me and garandpa. Makes 6 servings in polite company.
Grow your own
- Wild Garden Frills Russian Kale is especially tender, mild and delicious organic Siberian heirloom kale mix with blue-green frilled leaves. Nutritious, long-standing, weather tolerant and beautiful.
- Garden Ferns Leaf Lettuce are heavy rosettes of delectable elongated leaves with a sweet flavor and juicy texture make this heirloom looseleaf lettuce an Italian favorite.
- Flashy Trout Back Leaf Lettuce is an organic heirloom lavishly splashed with wine-red against a bright green background.
- Crimson Crunch Radish are big red globes of fast growing crispy and mild flavor. These radishes don't get pithy and hot like so many radishes do.
Get the above lettuces and radishes from Renee's Garden and
Get the following Okame spinach and Confetti radishes from Nichols Garden Nursery.
- Okame Spinach, picked early as baby leaf for salads. Thin plants then harvest outer leaves of remaining plants to extend season until hot weather causes it to bolt.
- Confetti Mix Radish are perfect in wilted lettuce or tea sandwiches. The color is always a surprise when plucked from the garden. Plant these fast growing radishes as row markers.
There is always room for lettuce
Your exclusive recipe
Make it your own with these suggestions
- Mix 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard into vinegar and water.
- Replace lettuce with torn spinach and baby kale leaves as part or all of the lettuce.
- Top with feta or blue cheese crumbles.
- Add a Tablespoon of sunflower seeds just before serving.
- Switch sweet, thinnly sliced Vidalia onions instead of green onions.
More Wilted Lettuce
Make wilted lettuce your way or try this Hub:
More by this Author
Never boil another egg. Learn how to peel eggs perfectly every time. Use eggs as a protien source to complete lighter seasonal meals.
Quick, grab a handful of herbs before the big frost, Gather fresh herbs before the winter sweeps them away. A fast and favorite way to preserve garden-fresh herbs.
Keep sidewalks and driveways weed-free all summer. Try these simple and safe remedies as weed and grass killers.