Eating in Season - Fall & Winter Fruits and Vegetables
Fall Fruits and Vegetables
- Look for blemish-free, dull green rind.
- Can keep up to two months.
- Choose firm, unblemished apples.
- Try baking Fat-Free Apple Cobbler
- Feel for top-heavy squash.
- Check skin for blemishes.
- Look for tightly-packed florets.
- Check for yellow spots before buying.
- Keeps up to five days, refrigerated.
- Squeeze to test for firmness - not too soft, not hard.
- Check for grapes to be plump and vibrant-colored.
- Avoid blemished or dried out mushrooms.
- Store in paper bag for the right humidity.
- Shouldn't look withered or limp or have too many small roots.
- Can be stored up to four weeks in refrigerator.
- Find pears free of blemishes or bruises.
- Try baking Fat-Free Pear Tart
- Whole pomegranates should feel heavier than they look.
- Can be stored up to three months in the fridge.
- Pick a pumpkin with a tough skin that can't be scratched by your thumbnail.
- Try Fat-Free Pumpkin Bars and Pumpkin-Raisin Oatmeal Cookies
- Avoid sweet potatoes with black spots.
- Make sure they're not shriveled.
- Leaves should be vibrant and green.
- Avoid wilted chard.
Winter Fruits and Vegetables
- Fresh chestnuts may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Choose a grapefruit that feels heavy for its size.
- Fruit should give slightly when squeezed.
- Look for unblemished peel.
- Look for dark green leaves (may have tinges of purple).
- Find kale with sturdy stems.
- Do not store longer than a week.
- The smaller the leek, the more tender.
- Can be stored up to a week in the refrigerator.
- Choose lemons heavy for their size.
- Look for unblemished, smooth skin.
- Will keep for up to three weeks in the fridge.
- Find oranges heavy for their size.
- Rind color not necessarily an indication of flavor.
- Try baking Fat-Free Cranberry-Orange Oatmeal Cookies
- Buy radishes with green tops attached for freshness.
- Remove tops as soon as you get home.
- Store up to two weeks in refrigerator.
- Look for smaller rutabegas, as they will be sweeter.
- Check for an unblemished skin.
- See "Oranges"
- Select turnips smaller than three inches in diameter.
- Store in a plastic bag up to one week in refrigerator.
More by this Author
The best tasty recipes for quick and easy fat-free cookies, including Oatmeal-Raisin, Oatmeal-Brownie, Orange-Cranberry, Pumpkin-Raisin, and Oatmeal-Ginger.
Recipes for no-guilt sweets and treats for those counting Weight Watchers points: Brownies, Shakes, Slushies, and Cookies galore!
Weight Watching is easy with crockpot recipes for Lasagna, Chicken Stroganoff, Beef Stew, and Tortilla Soup!