Wonton Soup Recipe
In China, wonton soup is served as an appetizer or "small eat" rather than a meal in and of itself. It is a clear broth soup with shrimp and pork dumplings. It is pretty easy to make using ready-made, store-bought wonton skins or wrappers.
- 6 ounces pork, roughly chopped
- 2 ounces shrimp, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon scallions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 24 wonton skins, ready-made
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- scallions, finely chopped for garnish
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the pork and shrimp with the sugar, rice wine or sherry, soy sauce, scallions, and ginger together thoroughly. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, place 1 teaspoon of the mixture in the center of the wonton wrapper.
- Wet the edges of the wrapper with a little water and press them together with your fingers to seal in the meat.
- Repeat steps 2 - 3 until all the meat has been used.
- Bring the stock to a rolling boil. Add the wontons and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season the broth and wontons with soy sauce and add the remaining scallions.
- Serve hot.
Chinese dishes are never complete without fresh vegetables. Often times, wonton soup comes with bok choy or another type of green. The fresh vegetables are added to the soup during the last few minutes of simmering before service.
Wonton soup is best served piping hot.
** To turn this side dish or appetizer into a full meal, add ramen or egg noodles and enjoy!
Depending on where you go in China, there are variations of this dish. Those who live in and around Guang Zhou like their wonton soup clear and refreshing as outlined in this recipe.
In the central coastal area, in and around Shanghai, the wonton soup is spicy. In addition to pork and shrimp, people in Shanghai also like to include fish in their wontons.
In the Sichuan region, people like to eat their wontons in a sesame paste and chili oil.
As you can see, wonton soup is an extremely versatile dish that you can personalize and flavor to your liking.
|Serving size: 1|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 16 g||5%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 14 g||28%|
|Cholesterol 52 mg||17%|
|Sodium 589 mg||25%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
What Do You Think?
More by this Author
Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory is an intriguing character. He is extremely set in his ways, making him entertaining to watch when things are not just so.
Indian cuisine incorporates a variety of aromatic spices. The spices are used in abundance in Indian curries, bringing rich flavors to the meal.
What kinds of personality disorders might the Peanut characters suffer from through their childhoods?