Young Jackfruit Curry Recipe (Gulai Nangka)
Jackfruit is a large fruit native to Southern Indian but grown all over of the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia region. Unripe jackfruit is treated as vegetable and added to any savory dishes. As it is ripens, it is used mainly in desserts. Jackfruit is tropical fruit/vegetable.
Unripe jackfruit is usually prepared in stews, soups and curries. Other than Javanese gudeg and Sundanese sayur asem, gulai nangka (young jackfruit curry) from Padang is another way to enjoy unripe jackfruit. Gulai nangka is a dish consist of unripe jackfruit cooked in coconut milk. This milky and savory dish is seasoned with lemongrass, galangal and turmeric.
This spicy curry is specialty dish in Padang restaurants (rumah makan Padang or Minang). It is usually served with other hot spicy dish such as rendang. Gulai nangka is also called gulai cubadak. But if you have no chance to visit Padang, you can fix this dish at home. This recipe is easy to fix and very tasty.
What You Need
1 can unripe jackfruit (20 fl oz), drained
5 oz Chinese long beans, cut into 2-inches pieces
1/4 head of small cabbage, coarsely shredded
1/2 lbs beef
5 cups beef broth
1 can coconut milk (400 ml)
2 lemongrass, cut into 3, bruised
2 kaffir lime leaves
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
6 Asian shallot
3 cloves garlic
1 piece galangal (1-inch)
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp sambal Oelek (chili paste)
How to Fix
- Put shallot, garlic, galangal, chili paste and turmeric in the food processor. Pulse the spices into smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a saucepan bring to a boil 5 cups of beef broth. Then add the beef and lower the heat to simmer. Simmer the beef for about 25 minutes or until the beef is tender. Skim off any scum and floating foam. Add the jackfruit. Continue to simmer.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add oil, spice paste, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves. Stir-fry for about 1 minutes or until fragrant. Then transfer the spices into the broth. Simmer about 10 minutes or until the jackfruit is tender.
- Add the coconut milk. Bring it to boil and lower the heat to simmer. Add the salt, long beans and cabbage. Stir continuously for about 10 minutes to prevent the coconut milk is separating from the broth. Then remove from the heat. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve it with warm steamed rice.
More Indonesian Recipes
- Young Jackfruit Stew Recipe (Gudeg Jogjakarta)
- Indonesian Sour And Spicy Vegetables Soup Recipe (Sayur Asem)
- Steamed Tofu Wrapped In Banana Leaves Recipe (Pepes Tahu) - A Vegetarian Dish
- Fried Sweet Tempeh Recipe (Tempe Bacem) - A Vegetarian Dish
More by this Author
An easy and tasty Indonesian finger food or appetizer recipe.
Chow Hor Fun (Malaysian chicken chow fun) Flickr by AVLXYZ Chicken chow fun or known as char ho fun/sar hor fun is Malaysian comfort food. It's a dish of ho fun (sar hor fun/hor fun) topped with starchy and gluey sauce...
How to prepare Vietnamese chicken noodle (pho ga) at home. It's not as difficult as you think.
No comments yet.