Yum Yum Pot Roast Recipe
Time to eat!
YUM-YUM Pot Roast in the slow cooker or crock pot! Easy and yummy!
Over the years I have cooked many a roast, in the oven and skillet, but none have turned out perfect except for the ones I have cooked in my crock pot. I usually will pick out a nice looking beef chuck roast, rump or arm, one that does not have a lot of fat if it’s a good looking roast and has too much fat, just trim it off. You should try to get one that is at least 3 to 4 pounds, believe me there is nothing like leftovers for hot beef sandwich or just sliced cold with a little mayo.
Ingredients: 4 to 5 pound beef chuck, rump or arm roast
1/2 cup of any wine
l/2 sliced large onion
3 to 4 tablespoons flour
3 to 4 tablespoons light cooking oil
2 cans beef broth
4 tablespoons of Worcestershire
2 tablespoons of pepper
3 tablespoons of Kitchen Bouquet
2 pkgs brown gravy mix (omit liquid)
1. First rinse roast and trim any extra fat, pat dry and dredge in flour. In a hot skillet add three to four tablespoons of cooking oil, make sure its HOT. Carefully add the roast to the hot oil, there were a few times that I was not being cautious and the roast just jumped right off the fork and landed into the hot oil. It got me jumping, hot oil all over my arms - so be careful. Brown and sear the roast on all sides, I like it when it gets nice and crispy may even get a little burnt in places.
2. Take half a sliced onion and put in the bottom of the crock pot, turn crockpot on low. Place the roast on the top of onions, and put the lid on.
3. Put 2 cans of beef broth into mixing bowl add worcestershire sauce, Kitchen Bouquet, and two packets of brown gravy mix. Mix ingredients and add 1 cup of wine, here I live right smack dab in the middle of wine country and seldom drink wine, so you can most likely use any kind, last time I just used white zinfandel.
4. Add pepper to taste, I have cut back on using salt, no matter what you make salt ends up in the finished product.
5. In the skillet, which should have cooled down by now, dab out any extra oil, and pour mixture into skillet, heat until bubbly, stirring frequently. Once sauce has a nice texture pour over roast. Now is when most people like to add veggies, carrots, potatoes, etc. but the only ingredient that I add is sliced large mushrooms and than I add those the last hour before I take the roast out of the crock pot.
6. I generally will serve mashed potatoes, or steamed yellow Yukon potatoes and a veggie with the roast. And also a spinach salad with dried cranberries, goat cheese and champagne dressing.
I try to get it all in the crock pot by 10:00 am no later and let it cook all day
the last hour I throw in the sliced mushrooms, we sit down to dinner between 5:30 to 6:00. Enjoy your dinner and as Julia Child would say “Pass the butter!”
© copywrite April 24, 2010 Richard D Patterson, Jr.
More by this Author
Before!!! After!!! We bought a very nice home a few years ago that almost all of our existing furniture fit very well in, except for a small dinette set that was between our kitchen and family...
There are times that I believe, all of us have recalled a song or tune that we had forgotten. Whether it be from seeing something that will jolt the memory or maybe reading and even another tune that may help in...
This is the first of my letters from Vietnam that I want to share with you. I wrote this to my family when I was stationed in Mekong Delta, Dong Tam. I had only been in country for a few months at the time of this...