ZUCCHINI NUT COOKIE SANDWICHES
Zucchini is a prolific plant. We only grow a few plants in our garden each year and yet we pick at least one zucchini every few days. We eventually discover the zucchini that lay camouflaged until it's enormous leaves and use that for baking.These cookies are a bit like zucchini bread, but a bit more dense and slightly sweeter.
Cookie and Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 heaping cup grated zucchini, drained
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt to a bowl.
- Beat 1 stick of butter and the sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Beat flour mixture into butter mixture until just blended.
- Mix in zucchini, oats, and walnuts. Refrigerate until firm.
- On parchment lined baking sheets, drop a 1 1/2 inch scoop. * I like to use a small ice cream scoop for this.
- Bake until edges are slightly browned, about 17 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Beat the remaining butter, cream cheese and confectioner's sugar together until smooth. Zest half a lemon into mixture and blend.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of frosting onto the flat side of a cookie and sandwich another cookie on top.
Make Your Own Vanilla Bean Extract
- Make Your Own Vanilla Bean Extract
Making your own vanilla extract is super easy and makes for superior tasting vanilla. Follow this 3 step process and taste the difference yourself!
Did You Know?
- How To Cook Zucchini Leaves | LIVESTRONG.COM
Most people are familiar with the zucchini fruit, which is often used in a variety of vegetable dishes. But the fruit is not the only edible part of the plant. In fact, the zucchini leaves are edible, as well.
ALL THINGS ZUCCHINI:
225 recipes for all those zucchinis you have pilling up!
Great item to keep in the pantry.
For the overgrown zucchini from your garden.
More by this Author
Most people use the two terms interchangeably, but is there really a difference between hot chocolate and hot cocoa? The short answer is "YES"! Find out the basic differences between these two unique beverages and...
- 6A DIY Fall-Inspired Gift: Painted Acorns, Leaf-Shaped Gift Tag and a Box of Autumn Harvest Ginger Cookies
Fall is a great time to go outside and gather acorns and leaves for a variety of different craft projects. This acorn and maple leaf inspired gift is easy and these cookies will last for a month in the...
You can have fresh salad greens all summer if you build a lettuce bench. This is an easy weekend project that allows you to plant shallow rooted plants at waist level for easy maintenance and harvesting. With a few...