Zucchini Quiche Recipe
Too Many Zucchinis?
Do you need an idea on what to do with all those zucchinis from your garden? You can stuff, fry, roast, freeze, bake bread, fritters, grill, and my favorite, make quiche with zucchini.
If you don't grow this vegetable, chances are a neighbors garden could be overflowing or the local farmer's market has zucchini and you find yourself with a counter full of this vegetable not knowing how to use them all.
This is my favorite way to use zucchini from our garden. I received this recipe from a friend over 20 years ago and make several quiches all summer long. The recipe card is yellowed, dripped on, written on and every time I make the recipe, I think of my friend Nancy.
Zucchini quiche is an excellent vegetarian dish and can be served hot or at room temperature; for breakfast, lunch, or dinner; at a party, shower, or picnic; and is attractive in appearance.
Pie Plates on Amazon
- 4 cups zucchini, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or cottage cheese, (sometimes I split these)
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese, (or your choice of flavor)
- 1 Pillsbury Ready Made Crust
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 8 pieces of thinly sliced tomato, (optional)
- Slice or shred 3-4 zucchini to make 4 cups
- Chop onion
- Place margarine and butter in medium sauce pan, melt
- Add zucchini and onions to pan, cook and stir for 10 minutes then add: salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, basil and oregano until everything blends together. Turn off heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In large bowl, combine eggs, yogurt or cottage cheese, and shredded cheese. Add zucchini mixture and blend.
- Prepare pie plate by sprinkling a tablespoon of floor on plate then laying prepared crust in the plate. Spread the ground mustard evenly around the bottom.
- Pour mixture into pie plate. Place in preheated oven. Cover crust edge with foil or round crust coverer. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Use a knife to check for doneness.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- If desired, place thinly sliced tomatoes on top of quiche for a more sophisticated effect.
Grater/Slicer on Amazon
Use this to shred or slice the zucchini as well as shredding your cheese
This machine will take minutes off your prep time!
Suggestions on mixing the recipe up a bit
For your cheese choice: the original recipe called for mozzarella cheese. I have used mozzarella, swiss, sharp cheddar, colby jack, and a combination of some of these. So far my favorite which I just tried, was fontina merely because it was all the cheese I had. It was my favorite tasting quiche to date!
For the herbs: I use fresh herbs in this recipe because we always have fresh herbs from our garden in the summer. Do not limit yourself to the recipe, try whatever you have or like. You can use dry herbs, but it will not have the same fresh taste.
For your fruit choice: If I have a yellow squash available, using one yellow squash instead of all zucchini lends a sweeter taste to the finished quiche.
For your crust: I take the easy way out using a store-bought item and will admit, a home made crust would be best. Remember, you just need one as this is open-faced.
A Variety of Ways to Use Zucchini
What is Your Favorite Way to Use Zucchini?See results without voting
More Hubs on Our Garden
- Beginners Garden - 10 Best Crops To Start A Garden
Ready to try gardening? This is your guide on the best-chance-for-success on what to start growing in your garden. From first time adults to children, you will have success using these vegetables.
- How the EarthBox Container Gardening System Works
The Earth Box garden system is a versatile way to bring container gardener to your yard, patio, balcony or back door! You can grow vegetables, herbs or flowers in an EarthBox container.
- Garden Tool Sets You Need For A Successful Garden
Garden tools sets make a great gift for a gardener, especially a beginning gardener. Here are some ideas and tips for finding the best tools for your gardener.
Two More Zucchini Ideas for Kids
Zucchini Bread - sneak in a quarter cup of mini chocolate chips to entice the kids.
Spaghetti Sauce - grate some zucchini into the sauce, they can't even see it!
Fried Zucchini - make your breading light to concoct this summertime favorite.
More by this Author
Compost is a key element in having good soil in your garden. With with the info listed here, you can have compost in just weeks. The smell of fresh, rich compost is heavenly to an avid gardener.
Pepper Suet for the Birdfeeder - naturally squirrel-proof your suet bird feeder with hot pepper suet. This is a natural solution to keeping squirrels out of your bird feeders.
Explore several approaches on how to clean pennies. The comparison of cleaning pennies is a great science fair project. Find out which way is best!
Do You Think You Will Try This Recipe?
No comments yet.