Having Gumbo with out a roux would be like having a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich with out the Jelly.
Making a really great roux is easy.
1. You need a heavy skillet or stock pot. You don't want a thin skillet or stock pot or your roux will burn easily.
2. You need a wire whisk.
3. You will need a cup of real butter and a cup of all purpose plain flour.
4. Put your butter in the skillet or stock pot over medium heat and allow the butter to melt.
5. Once the butter is thoroughly melted add your flour in a little at a time until all the flour is worked in. By this time you will be stirring constantly with your wire whisk and you don't want to let up until you start seeing your flour get brown.
6. Now keep stirring until all your flour is brown about the color of a old copper penny which is also about the color of the Mississippi River.
7. Now remove the roux from the heat and your ready to use it.
And now anyone should be able to make delicious roux and gumbo.
You will never have a rich tasting Gumbo with out a roux and if you follow those directions you should be able to make a roux and a delicious gumbo.