Paul Kemp profile image 90

Why Don't More Diabetics Control The Disease with Improved Diet & Exercise?

The U.S. Center for Disease control and other public health agencies openly admit that "lifestyle changes" are almost twice as effective compared to Metformin, a commonly prescribed medication used to slow the onset of diabetes and milder cases of the disease. Do many diabetics know this? Do they find it too difficult to lose weight? Or are they just apathetic and/or lazy?

xanzacow profile image81

Best Answer Cynthia (xanzacow) says

• Paul Kemp profile image

Paul Kemp 4 years ago

Thanks, xanzacow, for your encouraging comment. I don't expect to convert all the diabetics who I reach to mend their ways. Of all those searching for info, I only expect to reach the few who are ready and willing to act. A few successes are enough.

bankscottage profile image93

bankscottage says

• Paul Kemp profile image

Paul Kemp 4 years ago

Thanks for your comment, bankscottage. You're right that everything about our U.S. culture is against this NOW, but this may be forced to change by the cost of care bankrupting Medicare/Aid. What then? Massive die-off, suicides? Grim!

StandingJaguar profile image95

Amy (StandingJaguar) says

• Paul Kemp profile image

Paul Kemp 4 years ago

That's a very strong point, Standing Jaguar. I am envisioning a more educated, CEO-type who knows he/she needs to change and is willing to pay for that advice and encouragement. I don't expect to talk Joe Schmoe into going vegan. Is niche big enough?

stclairjack profile image79

stclairjack says

• Paul Kemp profile image

Paul Kemp 4 years ago

I believe you are, for the most part, correct. But some of us have overcome the genetic and cultural cues and have managed to avoid diabetes, myself among them. I am deciding if it would be worth my time to put up a Web site about how I did it.

IDONO profile image83

IDONO says

• Paul Kemp profile image

Paul Kemp 4 years ago

IDONO: I am sure that, for many people, what you say is true. There is another group who ARE willing to do what it takes because they have some inkling of the pleasures they will miss out on by not achieving their best. These I want to reach.

nicediabetes profile image64

nicediabetes says

• Paul Kemp profile image

Paul Kemp 4 years ago

Sorry to speak imprecisely. When I said "mild form of diabetes", I should have said pre-diabetes. Since most of those with diabetes have Type 2, I should have qualified my Hub by pointing out that I was referring to the most common form. My apologies